LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Hud

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hud

anyone take a pontiac heads up display in an impala/mc?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by why_so_serious
anyone take a pontiac heads up display in an impala/mc?
Class 2 vs. GMLAN. It will not work.

You have a better chance getting one out of a GMLAN vehicle, but even then, you're going to have problems with mounting it in the dash, switches, and if your vehicle is programmed to send out the correct information.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

an aftermarket solution would probably be best. I think I recall lingenfelter selling one back in the day... Any one would work with ODBII
Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

cool just curious if its been done cuz it would be pretty sweet especially after driving a few vettes and suvs with them in it I really like it
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

I put an old first gen grand prix hud in my old Lumina and it worked just fine. It didn't take any input from the aldl chatter though. I think the second gen grand prix's hud were similar wiring as the first. What year pontiac are you talking? if its a gen 1 or 2 W, it might work as it just reads input from dummy lights and and the speed sensor. If your talking about seeing the radio channels... very doubtful that'll work. I'm still learning the gen 3 though....
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

i really dont care about the radio stations although the tach and g meter would be cool like in the vette

rko how hard was it to put it in you lumina?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
RKO
Staging Lane

Hardest part was creating the window in the dash. The wiring was easy. Some cars that came with HUD as an option already had the harness sitting in the dash... however others such as the Lumina did not have the option so I had to splice into the harness going into the gage cluster. All that is needed is the wiring schematic to tell you what color wire is what. I don't really know the difference between the 1st gen W and 3rd gen when it comes to cluster wiring however. For example, I believe I remember blk is ground (duh) and pink/blk strip was +12 with key on. Then I think its dk green/white stripe for vss, purple for fule gage, lt blue and drk blue for turn signals, bright green for high beam indicator. I'm just pulling these off the top of my head.

If the HUD has a tac, then I would worry about where that tac signal came from. Most of the early W clusters received their tac signal from a white wire in the dash, I was able to get one to work off the small purple wire coming from the ICM. I know the UB3 from an Olds Cutlass Supreme received its tac information from the ALDL chatter however. I would assume the modern HUD would get tac data from the computer.

I ended up taking it out because the windshield wasn't a HUD windshield and the ghost image was making me mental. I just settled on a UB3 gage cluster out of a cutlass supreme.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

AWESOME A LUMINA! I actually miss mine.

Quick Reply: Hud