Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Surge tank mounted FPR question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge tank mounted FPR question

I need to step up my fuel system and want to avoid the "can't get on it with less than a 1/4 tank" issues that plague the long, narrow stock GM truck fuel tanks bottomless dual-pump buckets. I have a 3l aluminum surge tank that I'm going to use to feed a pair of dual external Bosch 044's. It will be fed by my intank Walbro 255l. I'll be mounting the surge tank with the Bosch's attached under my truck bed. For the time being, I'll be using a stock fuel rail.

I'm been debating mounting my Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR on the surge tank to make a nice, compact assembly. I'd be using a -6AN return line from the rail (minus the the stock fpr) but instead of having the FPR at the rail, it would be at the surge tank end. It will be boost referenced so I'll also be running a vacuum line back to the FPR.

My question is will there be any issues with fuel pressure instability having the FPR 15' +/- from the rail. The truck will be tuned for the new fuel system so I'm hoping any irregularities can be compensated in the tune.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would just finish it by running new lines, and installing the fpr at the rail. You might have some problems with the fpr mounted that far away
Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

From what I read, the fpr would dump the returned fuel into the surge tank??
If so, it won't take long for the temp of the 3L's of fuel to be raised to a ?? level...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wkdivr
I would just finish it by running new lines, and installing the fpr at the rail. You might have some problems with the fpr mounted that far away
I'll be using the stock feed line but running a new return line.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
From what I read, the fpr would dump the returned fuel into the surge tank??
If so, it won't take long for the temp of the 3L's of fuel to be raised to a ?? level...
Correct, the FPR will dump back into the surge tank but the main pump is constantly recirculating the surge tanks fuel with the main tank. The surge tank has 5 ports. 2 to feed the 044's, 1 for the feed from the main tank, one for the FPR retrun and the last port to recirculate fuel back to the main tank. Between the main tank's pump and the FPR return, the surge tank is always 100% full with the excess fuel being recirculated back to the main tank. The fuel should stay relatively cool.

I was just looking for a cleaner installation by keeping the FPR out of the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Surge tank mounted FPR question