Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Thinking about moving to SoCal from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about moving to SoCal from Texas

I need to get the hell out of Texas for awhile. Life has kicked me in my *** over the past year and I need a change. I'm looking into moving to SoCal to attend college for a year. So here are my questions.

I'm more than likely going to attend a community college. I need some cheap credits that will transfer back to Texas. Whats a good community college in SoCal? Also, if i decide to stay in southern California, whats a good public university that is affordable?

Wheres a good place to live? I want to be within walking distance to the ocean. I'll prob look for a place on Craigslist.

How is the economy doing out there? Is it getting better?

Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm i would say elac but its not walking distance from the ocean.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Well any of the colleges are going to be good if you can get any classes. Second ocean in walking distance means money. A lot of it. Your probably better off rooming with someone to help off set rent. Schools close to the ocean I know are Orange Coast College or Golden West College in Oc and Santa Monica Community College up in La County. Those are 3 I can think of off the top my head I'm sure this more.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AGB1976
Well any of the colleges are going to be good if you can get any classes. Second ocean in walking distance means money. A lot of it. Your probably better off rooming with someone to help off set rent. Schools close to the ocean I know are Orange Coast College or Golden West College in Oc and Santa Monica Community College up in La County. Those are 3 I can think of off the top my head I'm sure this more.
Orange coast college is not walking distance from the ocean.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

if you stay in the valley its pretty cheap out here living wise.. and im only like 30min from water

san fernando valley

we have 3 community colleges out here.. valley college, pierce college, i forgot the other one lol

and i go to CSUN cal state university Northridge
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Santa Barbara CC.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

To be real, the economy is not bad. You can get a job just about anywhere if you try hard enough. Just don't expect it to pay you crazy amounts (think slightly above min. wage). As far as school and close to the ocean, like people mentioned before be prepared to pay premium bucks for that perk. There are many cc's close to beach, if not walking distance then like 20 mins driving distance. Keep in mind, even if you don't plan to live close to the beach living in ca is expensive. I'm not sure what cc's will transfer credits back to texas. I do know that cc's in california are tough right now. You can get into them, but good luck getting the classes you want. Oh almost forgot, ca is out for blood right now (fiscally). Don't be surprised about being ticketed and fined for EVERYTHING, afterall we are in a deficit

With all that said, and yes it's alot...ca is pretty cool sometimes. Me, I often want to leave this state, gotta finish my military contract and school first!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The cost of living in CA is a lot higher than Texas. And the economy is still hurting. Plus, you might not like the smog laws here. I'm actually moving from CA to Texas because I got a job there. And Texas has MUCH better schools.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

hey hey hey!!!

ca does have good schools.. it juss depends what ur majoring in

min wage is higher in CA .. but stuffs a lot more expensive as well..

but im doing ok.. juggling full time school.. and i work full time in hollywood as a bouncer.. and i live on my own..

still building and wasting my money on my truck and other cars..

YOU CAN MAKE IT OUT HERE.. but living by the beach is gonna cost u
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stay in texas. cali is beautiful but its a pain in the ***. a buddy of mine moved here from WA and they would not let him enroll in college classes cuz he had not lived in cali for longer than a year. so u might want to check if u can even be excepted to the schools. look into it.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let's see if I got this straight?
You want to move from Texas where they are gun, car, motorcycle, and women friendly to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornication where they hate guns, cars, (at least high performance ones), motorcycles, and there might be a few women left if you get here quickly.
Please send me some of whatever you're smoking.
And people tell me that I had my priorities mixed up.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
stay in texas. cali is beautiful but its a pain in the ***. a buddy of mine moved here from WA and they would not let him enroll in college classes cuz he had not lived in cali for longer than a year. so u might want to check if u can even be excepted to the schools. look into it.
Actually, you need to be a Cali resident for a year, otherwise be prepared to pay huge out of state fee's. You would need to get yourself a California ID and have some form of billing statements showing your length of stay in the state. This may no longer be the case, but take the necessary time and do some research. Everything is expensive in California!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

my sister just moved to texas last week cuz of the fact its cheaper out there
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Default Goldenwest College

Goldenwest College in Huntington beach Calif.

Great Community College. Many classes offered. Free tuition for residents.

5 minutes to the beach.

Many Hot Rods & car clubs/shows near the beach
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 ACE
To be real, the economy is not bad.
meh to each their own but 13% unemployment and the number of underemployed added to that i would say the economy is bad.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
meh to each their own but 13% unemployment and the number of underemployed added to that i would say the economy is bad.
Lol I can see what you mean, but unemployment numbers in california definitely is a case where the numbers don't speak for themselves
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOS LS1
Goldenwest College in Huntington beach Calif.

Great Community College. Many classes offered. Free tuition for residents.

5 minutes to the beach.

Many Hot Rods & car clubs/shows near the beach
Free tuition for residents? Wow, I've never heard of that. That makes it a great community college in my book!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Move to San Luis Obispo! Man I miss that place. One of the best places in Ca, bar-none!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

^^ slo's the place to be man. 10min drive to the beach, perfect weather, girls left and right, legit school. Only cons are it's pretty damn expensive, and the cops can be dicks at times, and I'm still smog friendly. Sorry I'm not much help OP, there is a cc here (cuesta) but don't have much experience with it.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

I have lived in both places.. If your single and just looking to go to school, then Cali aint bad, but its not cheap at all. As mentioned before, anything close to the water is going to cost alot more.

Texas can get boring, and thats why I moved out here to start off, just make sure you have a job lined up, and some idea of where you plan to live. Id check with the school your planning on going to, and see what all you will need to get in, there are some that require you to be a resident..

Good luck.. Not to dull the idea, but after living here for 9 years, I am planning on going back to Tx once I get out the Navy. Houses/land cost ALOT less in Tx, and its more of where I relax.

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to SoCal from Texas