Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 bolt

Hello I'm new here, but I'm not sure if i posted in the right area. But everyone talks about upgrading to a 12 bolt. Can someone explain to me why? Or maybe there's a link on full information? I recently purchased a z28 and I'm hoping to beat on it soon when i get some maintenance out the way.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Basically the rear on these cars are like glass. But just like any regular piece of glass, some are stronger than others even though its technically the same thing. People have destroyed 10 bolts on stock power, yet some people are dipping into the 10s on a stock diff. Its a game of Russian Roulette. Depending on how you drive your car and what you do with it will determine the life span. If you beat the **** out of it, launch the car with drag radials, ya, its prolly not going to last long. But if you drive it like a car, and occasionally get into it, you shouldnt have much problems. If youre automatic, then youre less likely to have problems than people with manuals. You can beef up the stock 10 bolt, but by the time you invest in bullet proof stuff, you might as well have just put a 12 bolt in, and even your new 10 bolt isnt near as strong. Its just too little to handle gross amounts of power. You gotta figure, its the same diff that was in the S10s....??
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camanls1
basically the rear on these cars are like glass. But just like any regular piece of glass, some are stronger than others even though its technically the same thing. People have destroyed 10 bolts on stock power, yet some people are dipping into the 10s on a stock diff. Its a game of russian roulette. Depending on how you drive your car and what you do with it will determine the life span. If you beat the **** out of it, launch the car with drag radials, ya, its prolly not going to last long. But if you drive it like a car, and occasionally get into it, you shouldnt have much problems. If youre automatic, then youre less likely to have problems than people with manuals. You can beef up the stock 10 bolt, but by the time you invest in bullet proof stuff, you might as well have just put a 12 bolt in, and even your new 10 bolt isnt near as strong. Its just too little to handle gross amounts of power. You gotta figure, its the same diff that was in the s10s....??
i couldn't of said it better!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

thanks a lot. Also .. I heard LS1 motors have overheating issues. Is that true? What can you do to prevent the car from overheating on hot summer days If my statement is true..
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the site. The search button located at the top of the page can answer %90 of the questions you may have.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
welcome to the site. The search button located at the top of the page can answer %90 of the questions you may have.
really? where? what should i type in?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Kornboy: Nice avatar.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slp_ss_21
really? where? what should i type in?
I hope your not serious, can you use google? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LS1+overheating+issues
If you can't that link may help.

Quick Reply: 12 bolt