Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount turbo

Anyone have the STS kit on here and what you do think about rear mount kits and theres in general?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I read on the intrawebs that the best way to put a rear-turbo on your car was to gut the trunk with a plasma torch and put it in there.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

lol...no thanks. STS has a decent looking system but I would be worried about the intakes and such.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by willsol
lol...no thanks. STS has a decent looking system but I would be worried about the intakes and such.
they get tucked up in the wheel wells and the plastic covers cover your filters... they are reinstalled but arent pictured because you cant show a turbo set up with out seeing turbos lol
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They work, two downfalls to STS's kit, shitty oil pumps, and shitty turbos unless you upgrade. A rear mount kit will and has worked, but if it were me id have a custom turbo setup made instead of dropping 7k on a bolt up kit without upgrades.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

have a tune shop custom fab you a rear mount it will be cheaper that way and better to.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
have a tune shop custom fab you a rear mount it will be cheaper that way and better to.
not sure itll be cheaper really, itll be around the same but youll have better parts. no need for twins either IMO, a single 61 or 70 would be just fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
if your gonna have a custom set up made, WTF would you put a rear mount in?

Do it like GulfM3's!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

STS is not very popular on the GTO forums. Search around over there for any info you need in regards to FI as options they have similar setups to the V1. The piping rust on cars that are not even daily driven as it is simply coated mild steel. Most cannot even sell their kit when taken off due to these issues.

Last edited by big reg; 02-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domsz06
if your gonna have a custom set up made, WTF would you put a rear mount in? thats what she said

Do it like GulfM3's!!!
shameless plug for you brothers epically awesome, jizz in my pants turbo build. haha. its a good thing to do, because it is one amazing build. i hope if i ever make it to Houston, you guys will show me the Vs. which may be in 6ish months, because my brother could be moving down there.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I would love to see this happen... I love turbos on V8's...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see what happen its been done.....

[cue mike ice swooop in]
Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by big reg
STS is not very popular on the GTO forums. Search around over there for any info you need in regards to FI as options they have similar setups to the V1. The piping rust on cars that are not even daily driven as it is simply coated mild steel. Most cannot even sell their kit when taken off due to these issues.
yeah my brother and I were talking about that. How they did really good work on the manifolds, but then they use crap turbo's and cheap steel....

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
shameless plug for you brothers epically awesome, jizz in my pants turbo build. haha. its a good thing to do, because it is one amazing build. i hope if i ever make it to Houston, you guys will show me the Vs. which may be in 6ish months, because my brother could be moving down there.
Well a little bit, but also just saying, why drop the money on a single turbo rear mount taht will have lag, and really doesn't look that great when you can pay a bit more (if any) and have 2 turbo's and a BAD *** set up and no lag... Come on, kinda not even a decision is it?

Originally Posted by JSmitty53
I would love to see this happen... I love turbos on V8's...
it has been done...

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
see what happen its been done.....

[cue mike ice swooop in]
agreed lol
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I'd put them here, actually just an inch or two more to the rear of the car to help the intake clear the front cradle. I made some custom intakes, that follow the charge pipes pictured below and lead to a cone filter behind the bumper fog lights. Its not the prettiest, but I'll get some pictures soon.

I just finished installing an Alky Control meth kit, should have it back on the dyno next week. Looking for 600+ to the tires!

I've put about 3k miles on the setup, and the charge pipes still look practically new with only an inch long scratch on the driver side pipe. Ground clearance is a non issue.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Launching!

^^^ I've got to see this thing in person one day...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great work!

Any reason why you didn't tie the two pipes from the turbo together to feed from right side of the CAC to faciliate installation?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Domsz06
yeah my brother and I were talking about that. How they did really good work on the manifolds, but then they use crap turbo's and cheap steel....

Well a little bit, but also just saying, why drop the money on a single turbo rear mount taht will have lag, and really doesn't look that great when you can pay a bit more (if any) and have 2 turbo's and a BAD *** set up and no lag... Come on, kinda not even a decision is it?

it has been done...

agreed lol
Turbo lag from a rear mount is kind of a misconception, if you have a well put together kit with the right parts including a nice turbo you wont have anymore notiveable lag then you would from setting the turbo right next to the throttle body.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Turbo lag from a rear mount is kind of a misconception, if you have a well put together kit with the right parts including a nice turbo you wont have anymore notiveable lag then you would from setting the turbo right next to the throttle body.
How do you figure? Are you saying that the distance between the exhaust ports to the turbo plus the distance from the turbo to the TB is irrelevant?

I'd agree for someone brake torquing such as the starting line on a drag strip, but on the street when you punch it, I'm sure it would be felt.

Don't get me wrong, I love turbos ... I just like them like GulfM3's where the plumbing is measured in inches not yards.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rand49er
How do you figure? Are you saying that the distance between the exhaust ports to the turbo plus the distance from the turbo to the TB is irrelevant?

I'd agree for someone brake torquing such as the starting line on a drag strip, but on the street when you punch it, I'm sure it would be felt.

Don't get me wrong, I love turbos ... I just like them like GulfM3's where the plumbing is measured in inches not yards.
The turbos for the rear mount are made to spool easier.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Are the rear mounted turbos smaller so the spool time is quicker?
I figure to there would be some kind of turbo lag due to to the
length of the the tube and the time needed to build pressure in it?
Also is there any issues with all the connections and leaks?

Quick Reply: Rear Mount turbo