LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fabbing up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fabbing up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I actually have already fabbed up a permanent oil pressure gauge under the hood but I have a question.

I used a 24" stainless braided brake hose to connect the block fitting to the gauge. It allows me to route the gauge up to the windshield so I can watch the oil pressure while driving when the need arises.

Is there any issue with using a brake hose? Can it be relied on to no provide any issue down the road? Is there something more desirable to use?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally just copper/aluminum tubing like the solid part of your brake lines, flexable break line still has rubber inside i assume? so the rubber can get ate up over time. just a guess though
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I actually have already fabbed up a permanent oil pressure gauge under the hood but I have a question.

I used a 24" stainless braided brake hose to connect the block fitting to the gauge. It allows me to route the gauge up to the windshield so I can watch the oil pressure while driving when the need arises.

Is there any issue with using a brake hose? Can it be relied on to no provide any issue down the road? Is there something more desirable to use?
What kind of fittings did you use for the block and which port are you using? I just took my mechanical gauge off because I had it on the side port of the block and it did nothing but leak.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like you may have had fittings that were not flared or the flares did not mate right. I learned recently when doing a brake line that there is flared and inverted flares and it can be a puzzle geting things linked togther correctly.

I have the mechanical gauge tee'd in right where the OEM electric sender is. I would call them just basic flare fittings but it took a while to find the right ones while ensuring the flares were right to resist leaking. To this day, they have never leaked a drop and the gauge works great. I am just concerned about that brake hose. I even fabbed a nice bracket to mount the gauge right above the left strut mounting bolts.

Searching the net, I have found a couple other folks that have used a brake hose but I have yet to read where the hose caused a problem.

Last edited by wrd1972; 02-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always preferred the an lines. I would use -3 or -4 braided steel. I don't think rubber brake line would be a good idea, but that's just me.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duh
I always preferred the an lines. I would use -3 or -4 braided steel. I don't think rubber brake line would be a good idea, but that's just me.
I am confused when you say AN lines. Are these lines NOT rubber at the core just like a brake line? Can you post a link?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are that worried go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses and get one made
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I am confused when you say AN lines. Are these lines NOT rubber at the core just like a brake line? Can you post a link?
AN lines are rubber at the core, but the braiding allows them to hold up better to head, vibration and movement. Weather it's steel or a nylon braid, doesn't really matter now-a-days, but I prefer them over straight rubber hose.

I'm assuming you're using an autometer type gauge. If you are this is what I like. You can get them in varying lengths, and I know they're pricey, but I prefer these to the nylon line, or copper tubing that autometer uses, and it's a lot more durable than straight hydraulic hose. Either way. You could also just by the fittings from autometer and then get -4 nylon braid which will actually save you some weight compared to the steel braid.

This is just what I've always used more for peace of mind. You'll never pop that line unless you hit some crazy oil pressures.

ANd I just re-read you original post. I believe the brake lines are constructed the same way, so you should be fine using that line. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by duh; 02-11-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Sounds like you may have had fittings that were not flared or the flares did not mate right. I learned recently when doing a brake line that there is flared and inverted flares and it can be a puzzle geting things linked togther correctly.
The leak is from the straight female to male brass fitting that screws into the block from duh's link. All other fittings are fine. If I reuse the mechanical gauge again I'll use the top port instead of the side.

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The rubber used in a brake line may or may not be compatible with engine oil
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I decided to call up Goodridge who makes the braided brake hose I am using for this and they said there will be no issue running using it for oil pressure. That said, it should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Fabbing up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.