Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

NEED MORE INTEREST: CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED MORE INTEREST: CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)

All,

If any of you guys are at all interested in this, please follow this link to the cadillacforums.com and follow the directions there to sign up for this brake retrofit group buy.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-v1-cars.html

(specifically see post #25)

Basically, for any of you guys who track your cars, this will be one of the ULTIMATE upgrades for track performance.

We need at least 10 people to sign up on the Racing Brake Forums (more info in the link above) to determine if there will be enough interest in this kit and if it will be feasible for RB to build the 2-piece rotor hats that will basically allow us to bolt on the front Brembo brakes from the CTS-V (6-piston calipers with 15" 2-piece slotted rotors) and use 2-piece slotted rotors on the rear as well.

I believe we have 3 or 4 guys already signed up, myself included. If you are interested you just have to indicate (legitimate) interest and then in 9-10 weeks' time, Racing Brake would require a small down payment to guarantee your interest and the HUGE 25% discount that would come with this group buy.

Please sign up guys!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's interesting. But the rotors cost more than the calipers, and the V1 brakes aren't exactly shabby.

The V2 rotors are from Brembo I think? I wonder if they (or whomever makes them) could drill them for 6-lugs for cheaper?

I wonder how yellow calipers would look on an Infrared car...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by aurora40
It's interesting. But the rotors cost more than the calipers, and the V1 brakes aren't exactly shabby.

The V2 rotors are from Brembo I think? I wonder if they (or whomever makes them) could drill them for 6-lugs for cheaper?

I wonder how yellow calipers would look on an Infrared car...
The rotors from "Racing Brake" are two piece and when they are combined with the rear they shed 22lbs off the car. Road racing or drag racing 22lbs is 22lbs.

Yes the V2 rotors are from Brembo but they cannot be redrilled, the hats on the V1 are different from the V2

The photo is with "CCW" corsair 18in wheel

Yellow? If you get the conversion I would like to see what they would look like

The V2 calipers also fit in the oem wheels.
Attached Thumbnails NEED MORE INTEREST:  CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)-img_4418.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

they sure look sexy
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

BUMP for interest.

Come on guys. Look at that pic posted by zzilla (who is the driving force behind this potention brake upgrade). How can you say no to that?

We have extremely good stock brakes, but it would be great to have brakes so extreme that you will get bruises from the seatbelt when you brake hard on the track. Now that's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't mean to suggest these weren't worth it, or anything like that. Just that the per-rotor cost is off-putting for someone who might be considering them just for the looks more than any real shortcoming of the stock setup.

As far as putting you in the seatbelt at the track, does anyone run tires so sticky that the OEM brakes can't lock them up?? I would think the main benefit of these is heat tolerance/fade resistance rather than the extra clamping force compared to the 4-piston setup.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Teching In

I didn't mean to suggest these weren't worth it, or anything like that. Just that the per-rotor cost is off-putting for someone who might be considering them just for the looks more than any real shortcoming of the stock setup.

As far as putting you in the seatbelt at the track, does anyone run tires so sticky that the OEM brakes can't lock them up?? I would think the main benefit of these is heat tolerance/fade resistance rather than the extra clamping force compared to the 4-piston setup.
On the track, its mostly about fade and feel on the brakes. With SS lines, the CTS-V is MORE than capable of bringing any off the shelf tire to a halt and delivering a great pedal feel. R-Compounds are a different story but then again, you might run into clearance issues with a 15" rotor behind a likely 18"-mounted R-compound. I would not expect more than a negligible improvement over the stock setup and for $2200, that is pricey. Best bang for the buck are really great pads, ducts and SS lines. My 2c
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Why would the compound of tire matter? It's been shown above that 18s will fit over this brake setup.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

So no interest, huh...?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What ever happened to this deal? Were you guys able to get enough interest?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i dunno why people would really be all that interested in it to be honest. it's likely a very marginal upgrade.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Indeed. More about the look. Was just curious. I guess if I love the V2 calipers so much, I should just buy a V2.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the group buy ever happened. They went crazy for some coleman POS rotors someone was promoting on the other site after they bailed on RB. They (coleman rotors) ended up having severe cracking issues. Good thing is RB made the V rotors anyway they are on the website
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

A couple of us made inquiries with RB about the conversion rotors. Someone tried to get a GP started, but then it was crapped on. I am sure RB would agree to a GP on the rotors, but they are going to expect a deposit in good faith. Too many people said they were in on previous RB rotor purchases, and bailed at the end, leaving RB quite irritated.

I run RB rotors and pads all around, and have been very satisfied. I am not a representative of the company, though, just a happy customer.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
i dunno why people would really be all that interested in it to be honest. it's likely a very marginal upgrade.
Understated. After having both, the V2 brakes are significantly better than the V1 brakes, and that's just based on spirited driving on the street. I'm sure at the track it's drastic. 10 feet difference between the 2 from 60-0, not marginal IMO. 114ft in the V1, 104ft in V2.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lubelizard
A couple of us made inquiries with RB about the conversion rotors. Someone tried to get a GP started, but then it was crapped on. I am sure RB would agree to a GP on the rotors, but they are going to expect a deposit in good faith. Too many people said they were in on previous RB rotor purchases, and bailed at the end, leaving RB quite irritated.

I run RB rotors and pads all around, and have been very satisfied. I am not a representative of the company, though, just a happy customer.
Deposit for what? They already make the V1-V2 conversion rotors. Check the website
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Read my post. GP is Group Purchase. If there are enough people to do a group purchase (discounted price), they'll likely want a deposit since they were burned before. I know with their GP's in the past, they extended discounts for stainless brake lines and pads as well. I'm running ET500s fr/rr on the street, and have a set of ET800s for whenever I get my butt to an open track event. That way, I won't have a compound conflict with the rotors.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Originally Posted by RADEoN
Understated. After having both, the V2 brakes are significantly better than the V1 brakes, and that's just based on spirited driving on the street. I'm sure at the track it's drastic. 10 feet difference between the 2 from 60-0, not marginal IMO. 114ft in the V1, 104ft in V2.
Others who have owned both cars confirm that the V2 brakes are better, despite them having to haul down a few hundred more pounds. Bigger diameter rotor, significantly thicker rotor, larger pads all adds up to better performance. I look forward to finishing the setup on my car and getting it back on track.

Originally Posted by furbe
Deposit for what? They already make the V1-V2 conversion rotors.
He knows - he's running them.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
How, in spirited street driving, could they result in 10' shorter stops from 60mph? I can easily lock up the tires with the stock brakes on the street. More brake won't result in more braking.

I don't doubt these are better on the track, but on the street??
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How, in spirited street driving, could they result in 10' shorter stops from 60mph? I can easily lock up the tires with the stock brakes on the street. More brake won't result in more braking.

I don't doubt these are better on the track, but on the street??
$1365.00 for the rotors...$700.00 for the V2 calipers, $230.00 for pads, $200.00 (?) for brake lines. I am sure they look great, but don't know how many people can justify $2500.00 on this. Can't you get near 10ft with upgrading to high performance pads? Noisey, yes, but for track days....

Quick Reply: NEED MORE INTEREST: CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)