Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I hate monsoon!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate monsoon!

the monsoon radio in my 2000 trans am sucks soo much as far as quality goes. i need a new one, i am running 2 pioneer door speakers, 2 alpine type s speakers, 2 jl audio evolution speakers, and a 10' rockford fosgate subwoofer. What head unit (radio) should i purchase to replace the monsoon? It doesnt matter if its a touch screen or not, but i need a high quality head unit (radio)! Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just swapped out my stock HU for a Pioneer AVH-3200DVD , not very expensive , double DIN , has all the goodies like dvd,usb,ipod/iphone,sd card and a touch screen.. I still have my stock speakers (crap) but i can tell you that the sound quality is much better and I cant wait to throw in some hood speakers and see what this thing can do !
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default monsoon

man for the money.... you cant beat pioneer. they come with more user-friendly features than any other. and they're very durable and last for years.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any aftermarket is going to sound 100x better trust me. I went with a sony HD, pretty much the best radio (price,quality,function) that i found this last summer.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

I put in my Alpine ida-x305 and it's much better. Now I have to rip out the shitty stock speakers because some of them are going bad.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

No idea why people go to such great lengths to keep the POS that is the Monsoon head unit.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Emfuser
No idea why people go to such great lengths to keep the POS that is the Monsoon head unit.
Partly for appearance (there a lot of gaudy aftermarket units being pushed by the manufacturers), partly because they might think it's hard to integrate the stock steering controls, partly because they might not know how bad the stock unit is, and probably the biggest reason of all, a lot of people get bad info from places like Best Buy, etc., about replacing the unit.

I initially did the Novak mod because I wanted to keep the stock look PLUS I was told by BB people that I needed to replace the entire system at a cost of at least $400. After doing my research on this forum, I found out how easy and cheap it was to replace the HU myself (a nice Kenwood unit with aux in and USB) and did it for right at $100.

As I mentioned in a few threads, even a cheap HU (and I'm talking about something as cheap as a Dual HU which I've seen as cheap as $50) is better than the Monsoon unit. Think about it - the newest Monsoon unit is around a DECADE old, with technology that is even older.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the only reason i like the stock is cause i think it looks damn good in the car. I think almost any aftermarket replacement looks like it wasnt supposed to be there and makes the rest of the car look older imo.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

still running my Monsoon i did have a couple speakers go bad and replaced them. I couple years ago I had a guy add a 10" sub and amp to the left cubby hole and I have to say I like my cars sound. Am I just that deaf? most of what I've seen is whats said above- whats so bad about them?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the only old looking thing in the interior of my car was the stock HU , the avh3200 looks pretty good in my car actually , makes it look newer , and once I get a 6LE bezel , Its going to look much better .. there are much better looking HU's than the stocker in my opinion
Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-3200UB

I always thought that these looked nice (the display is red or green), and with HUmount's piece I think they'd look pretty good in an F-body
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-3200UB

I always thought that these looked nice (the display is red or green), and with HUmount's piece I think they'd look pretty good in an F-body
Looks great! Anybody knows where to get an adapter to hook up this stereo to the OEM radio? I would like to keep it plug and play.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Looks great! Anybody knows where to get an adapter to hook up this stereo to the OEM radio? I would like to keep it plug and play.
You hook it up the same way you hook up any radio. Harness adapter and antenna adapter. It's the same install for any aftermarket radio. Generally you use a mount adapter as well but with double DIN the have to mod the bezel and trim a little plastic by the vents but it is not something you see once you put the bezel back on.
The only thing extra you would need is possibly a PAC adapter to keep the steering controls with an aftermarket unit.
For units with navigation you just run a couple of extra wires like the one that goes to the emergency brake to shut down video playback when driving and the GPS antenna that is ran under the dash. Very easy to do.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
You hook it up the same way you hook up any radio. Harness adapter and antenna adapter. It's the same install for any aftermarket radio. Generally you use a mount adapter as well but with double DIN the have to mod the bezel and trim a little plastic by the vents but it is not something you see once you put the bezel back on.
The only thing extra you would need is possibly a PAC adapter to keep the steering controls with an aftermarket unit.
For units with navigation you just run a couple of extra wires like the one that goes to the emergency brake to shut down video playback when driving and the GPS antenna that is ran under the dash. Very easy to do.

Thanks for the response man! After the HU is installed we I will be contacting you for some speaker upgrades. Im the guy from PR, remember? You finally said you could ship here. I hope so anyway!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it's one of the few that I've found that doesn't really look gaudy at all.

Kee....do you sell this piece?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

HU have gotten a lot less gaudy over the past few years. For awhile, it looked like the audio companies were trying to out do each other when it came to hard to read displays, and crazy screens and colors. With a Humount (one day I'll be able to afford one) if you choose carefully, an aftermarket looks as good as stock. Check some of the HUs in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...u-install.html
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Looking to upgrade from the stock monsoon system myself. It won't play Any cd's at all and listening to fm radio is getting old. New speakers are a must as well cause they are so weak...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response man! After the HU is installed we I will be contacting you for some speaker upgrades. Im the guy from PR, remember? You finally said you could ship here. I hope so anyway!
Hi, I remember and yes I will give it a go. I love PR really. Beautiful place!!

I have the harness and antenna adapters. I just don't make the bezels anymore. They are not unique or anything to be perfectly honest. Just a regular GM harness and antenna adapter.

Quick Reply: I hate monsoon!