Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go with a smaller slick the next time I have to replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I go with a smaller slick the next time I have to replace them?

Doesn't matter if it's a full slick or a et street or qtp. Just wondering if you guys think I will benefit from a little smaller tire and if i'd be able to hook up on it. Right now I am running a 27x10.5x15 Hoosier QTP with a 12-bolt with 3.73's and cutting 1.58 60's on motor with just a cam and some bolt-on's with a decently large converter in a turbo 400 comin out off the foot brake (haven't hooked up transbrake yet and not sure the actual size of the converter, bought it off of someone who said it was a 3800, but I think it's more like a 4200 - 4400, cuz it flashes to like 4700 - 4800 and is very loose!) I was thinkin with the 3.73's, a 27 might be a little too big and that I should downsize next time to a 26, but right now I don't know if I would be able to hook it up cuz i'm still on stock shocks and springs (eventually i'll get hals, just don't have the money yet, need other things first (like a cage) and I just started a new job), what do you guys think? Cuz i'm thinkin if I could hook it, the 26 would put me in the low - mid 1.5 range on the 60' and give me more mph and a better et!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's your RPM through the traps?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01-Z
what's your RPM through the traps?
I haven't paid too much attention, but I think it's a little under, or just at 6000 rpm when i'm running through the traps, and I shift the car at 6500! I know I could use some more gear, but I daily drive my car for the time being and have no overdrive, so I really couldn't go with anything shorter than a 3.73, cuz then I would've had absolutely no cruising speed on the highway. Right now it's liveable, i'm doin about 70 @ around 3300 - 3500 rpms, so it's not too bad!

*Edit* - Now that I think about it, i'm actually probably closer to 5500 or a little over, but definately somewhere between 5500 and 6000. I'll have to look the next time I get to the track (gotta get a cage first, got banned for 11's with no cage)!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you really need to know what your rpm is when you cross the traps. I think you would be ok though on a smaller tire in terms of having enough room to get through the traps. I had a 400 trans last year with 4.10 gear and put a 26" tire on it onetime at the track..BARELY made it through the traps RPM wise but i did it.

Couple things i usually consider in tire size other than trans, gearing, etc..how heavy the car is(lighter car can use smaller tire) and suspension..I think the less suspension you have the more tire you need..properly suspended car will hook a smaller tire much better compared to a non suspended car.

eh, anyway..i say get that Tbrake hooked up first and see how the car does then think about changing tires maybe. That brake will prolly bring that 60 down more to where you are wanting it.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run a 28x9 et drag (27.3" tire) and love it. i have a setup like you powerwise (stock head and big cam) and shift at 6900 rpms but i also have a 4.10 gear. go figure out your rpm point - those calculators dont do much with high stall autos. i can run at 21 psi and still hook low 1.5s and be nice and stable on the big end. but for most head and cam cars, 26" tire and 3.73 is the norm.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:31 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, finding out you finish line rpm is critical to tire selection. You want to run the smallest slick/dot tire you can hook consistently with because the smaller it is in patch, the less drag you experience. I used a 26 x 11.5 et street (same measurement as a 26 x 10 slick) and was going through the traps at 6100 rpm (my shift point). Because of this I knew I couldn't spray the car b/c the rpms would be higher than I'd like to turn. My new 28 x 11.5 et street (about the same as a 28 x 9 slick) dropped about 200 rpms off my finish line (5900-5950). Now I can spray the 100 shot and go through at 6400 rpm, and with the 26's it'd probably be 6600 or higher.

Just my $.02

Derek
Old 02-14-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i run a 28x9 et drag (27.3" tire) and love it. i have a setup like you powerwise (stock head and big cam) and shift at 6900 rpms but i also have a 4.10 gear. go figure out your rpm point - those calculators dont do much with high stall autos. i can run at 21 psi and still hook low 1.5s and be nice and stable on the big end. but for most head and cam cars, 26" tire and 3.73 is the norm.
Yeah, the first night at Moroso in the 11's, the track was hookin like crazy and I had my tire pressure right at 20 psi and was gettin 1.60's (probably should've lowered a little, cuz it probably would've hooked up even better), then the second night there in the 11's, had to go down to 13 psi to get it to hook, but was 1.58's all night! That was the first time I had ever run with a slick with that low of pressure, it felt really weird on the big end and the mph was down a little from the previous time with the 20 psi in them.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I say you really need to know what your rpm is when you cross the traps. I think you would be ok though on a smaller tire in terms of having enough room to get through the traps. I had a 400 trans last year with 4.10 gear and put a 26" tire on it onetime at the track..BARELY made it through the traps RPM wise but i did it.

Couple things i usually consider in tire size other than trans, gearing, etc..how heavy the car is(lighter car can use smaller tire) and suspension..I think the less suspension you have the more tire you need..properly suspended car will hook a smaller tire much better compared to a non suspended car.

eh, anyway..i say get that Tbrake hooked up first and see how the car does then think about changing tires maybe. That brake will prolly bring that 60 down more to where you are wanting it.
I'm not worried whether or not i'll make it through the traps rpm wise, cuz I know it will with the 26, was just a little worried that I wouldn't hook the 26 till I get suspension, also worried if i'll hook it off the t-brake down the line. But yeah, I actually have the brake hooked up, just need a new solenoid, so i'm gonna try and get one of them soon and test it out! Should be fun!