User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

I want to be a Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I want to be a Mod

How can i become a mod on this site. Im here most of the day anyway.
Thanks Tony
Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't work that way.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:50 PM
PR Director

I believe you have to know someone from the inside!
Old 02-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SlammedTA
I believe you have to know someone from the inside!
Not at all. I got a pm from Tony out of the blue one day. They pick people who they feel have technical skills and that contribute in positive ways to the site. I personally had an LS1 that did ok (11.5's @ 120's) and I now have an '03 Cobra. That makes it a little more interesting and I can contribute in different ways.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i contribut in many ways, as in building ls1's and driving fords all the time. but maybe one day i might be a mod. but till then i am going to contribute as much as i can to all the threads that i can in this site.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

We look for members that participate alot, and are generally helpful to others.
We look for members that have an established expertise in some related forum in which we need a new moderator.
We look for members with fast cars, and a proven racing record.
We look for members that display excellent leadership skills and fair judgement

Keep in mind, that there are several members here that fit some of these categories, and we do have a long list of candidates that we keep an eye on.

Our best suggestion is to participate, get your name out there. Keep a good attitude (most of the time)

Tony
Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Keep a good attitude (most of the time)

Tony
Some of us tend to go off on a tangent sometimes.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Some of us tend to go off on a tangent sometimes.
For real. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 PM
PR Director

Sounds fair to me. I will try to contribute more, who knows what might happen.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car isnt anywhere near as fast as ALOT of the cars here in the 1/4. As a matter of fact I havent been to the drag strip since the serious mods started on it (I am going to fix that on the 29th though). What I do with my car is on the farthest side away from what most do here. Sharing your knowlege will help. At least I think that is what helped me. But I have learned alot from doing it and I try to share as much about it when it is relevant to a thread.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep a good attitude
There's goes my hopes for ever being a mod
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep in mind, that there are several members here that fit some of these categories, and we do have a long list of candidates that we keep an eye on.
So do you guys have a long list of names that you wouldn't make a mod...and am I on it.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hicks 2KTA
So do you guys have a long list of names that you wouldn't make a mod...and am I on it.
There is a list with one name on it and that name belongs to you. j/k I don't believe such a list exists. Tony & PSJ are pretty observant. They keep an eyeball out for people...
Old 03-02-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

We look for members that have an established expertise in some related forum in which we need a new moderator.
LS1tech needs a duramax diesel moderator for the truck v8 section, all the mods are gas powered over there.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Here is a write-up that captures some of my thoughts on moderatorship...

To moderate means to preside over -- to regulate, to control. Forum moderating means presiding over the online discussions occurring in the forums used in the course. Moderating a computer-mediated-communication forum can require skills and abilities that differ from those necessary when leading a traditional face-to-face class. In many cases, the success of the CMC forum will depend on the moderator's abilities to harness the capabilities of the tools and the participants. A successful moderator is:

Experienced. Online discussions have their own feel and flow. A prospective moderator will find it useful to have had some experience with this environment as a participant before taking on the moderator role.

Flexible. A moderator must be flexible and inventive enough to cope with unplanned extents and help continue the discussion toward its aim.

Tolerant. A moderator's tolerance might be stretched to the breaking point, but a good moderator will deal with all situations and individuals with an absence of anger and frustration.

Supportive. A prime responsibility of the moderator is urging participants to contribute and offering support when required.

Knowledgeable. A good moderator, while careful not to dominate a discussion, should be capable of correcting misunderstandings and have the ability to make useful and proactive statements about a topic that points the discussion in interesting directions.

A good listener. Given the lack of physical cues and the increased possibility of misunderstanding, it is important that an online forum moderator be good at discerning not only what participants have said, but also what they meant to say.

A good communicator. The moderator of a forum must demonstrate all the characteristics of good online communication, including clarity and conciseness.

Not authoritarian. A good online forum is one in which all participants feel free to contribute without fear of ridicule or embarrassment.

Has the time. Moderation of an online forum takes time and is not restricted to any particular day or time. Time investments of more than an hour a day, seven days a week, are not unusual.

Enthusiastic. For participants, especially newcomers to the online world, not many things will affect their feelings about the new environment more than a reluctant, unenthusiastic moderator.

(From University of Minnesota College of Continuing Education regarding moderating computer-mediated-communication forum, 2000)
Old 03-02-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
There is a list with one name on it and that name belongs to you. j/k I don't believe such a list exists. Tony & PSJ are pretty observant. They keep an eyeball out for people...
Damn, I knew it!!!

And did you guys promote some people recently, cause I thought I saw some new green names out there.

Quick Reply: I want to be a Mod