Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking for a clutch bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for a clutch bang for the buck

My car put down 468 to the wheels. Now is time for a new clutch and I was considering the new ZO6 clutch with the aluminum flywheel form Scoggin for about 550 or see VS a monster stage 3. Which way should I go if you guys where me? Oh and this car is a DD so I would like a easy pedal because of the traffic we get here In SA.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

diamond stage 2 from TDP

it's good for 600hp and very nice to daily drive, not to mention it's very affordable. it has an organic face on one side and ceramic/metallic on the other so it's a very smooth engagement but it still grabs HARD when you want it to. most clutches that are the fully metallic/ceramic type you're looking at don't like to be slipped at all (i.e. in traffic) so you will have to get used to giving it more gas and releasing it very quickly or you'll probably get some chatter. plenty of people daily drive them but it's a bit of a pain in traffic, especially if you've never driven one before
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dual friction clutch is only as strong as it's weakest link, the organic side in this case. I'd recommend our level 2 full face 100% kevlar clutch, as it will provide the holding power you need and only increase pedal effort ~5% over stock, while still maintaining a smooth engagement. Feel free to call me at the shop if you have any questions.

Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you I will give you a call.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
diamond stage 2 from TDP

it's good for 600hp and very nice to daily drive, not to mention it's very affordable. it has an organic face on one side and ceramic/metallic on the other so it's a very smooth engagement but it still grabs HARD when you want it to. most clutches that are the fully metallic/ceramic type you're looking at don't like to be slipped at all (i.e. in traffic) so you will have to get used to giving it more gas and releasing it very quickly or you'll probably get some chatter. plenty of people daily drive them but it's a bit of a pain in traffic, especially if you've never driven one before
Thanks ! The one side that looks organic is not actually organic. It's a blend of carbon/kevlar.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
A dual friction clutch is only as strong as it's weakest link, the organic side in this case.
As the above post reads... it's not organic (stock) material.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for Monster....customer service is supposed to be top notch and i've never read or heard anything bad about them....lightweight level 3 or 4 is what will be in my car whenever the Spec 2+ wears out, unless their twin disk is out by then??????

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-19-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
My car put down 468 to the wheels. Now is time for a new clutch and I was considering the new ZO6 clutch with the aluminum flywheel form Scoggin for about 550 or see VS a monster stage 3. Which way should I go if you guys where me? Oh and this car is a DD so I would like a easy pedal because of the traffic we get here In SA.
You'll be happy with the Diamond Stage 2. A ton of people are running it, even in high traffic areas. I'm currently running a special for $374 shipped for the basic kit and $689 shipped for the complete kit which includes a new billet lightweight flywheel & new slave cylinder.
We don't use the 100% kevlar full-face disc as it tends to glaze over and doesn't have the longevity that the kevlar blend does. If you'd like to place an order, call the shop (see sig). Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
+1 for Monster....customer service is supposed to be top notch and i've never read or heard anything bad about them....lightweight level 3 or 4 is what will be in my car whenever the Spec 2+ wears out, unless their twin disk is out by then??????
So you are +1ing for monster and yet you don't own one and have no first hand experience? Jumping on the band wagon huh. Read all the clutch chatter etc threads that get posted weekly! lol!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
So you are +1ing for monster and yet you don't own one and have no first hand experience? Jumping on the band wagon huh. Read all the clutch chatter etc threads that get posted weekly! lol!
call it what you want cuz.....but research is what sells products to me, my research has led me to put Monster at the top of the list....no, i don't have one, but positive results from other people makes me confident to spend my money on Monster, even to recommend it.....and chatter?....any clutch with an aggressive type disk is going to chatter, that's why i like the twins, they can hold more power and be tame at the same time....there's twice the surface area so you don't have to use a super aggressive puck design to get the higher torque ratings

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-19-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm not looking for a very aggressive clutch right now just one that will hold up to what I'm putting down plus a 200 shot every now and then.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Tdp all day
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

centerforce DFX. Nothing better. ball bearing pressure plate for THE BEST pedal feel. zero chatter with their new disc they came out with. I have one, and have installed several.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Im getting my Diamond clutch from TDP tomorrow and I know I have'nt installed it yet but if the clutch is as good as the customer service, thats where my vote goes to.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Monster or Diamond guys which one? It seems you get more bang for your buck with the Diamond clutch than the Monster but the monster seems to hold more. I will call both company's today.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
Monster or Diamond guys which one? It seems you get more bang for your buck with the Diamond clutch than the Monster but the monster seems to hold more. I will call both company's today.
Jason recommended his stage 2 thats good for 600+. He also has a stage 3 that holds 700+ and I know guys here local that are running them with 800+ hp. If you think the stage 2 is not enough, go to his stage 3. I have his stage 3 and it is overkill for my car but I can clutch dump at 6000+rpms with no worries. I am sure I can do that with his stage 2 but I am looking to upgrade the engine this summer. Go with Diamond, Jason has great customer service and I have been running the stage 3 for over a year now with zero issues and plenty of nasty track runs with full slicks. Hey Jason, this is Nathan the guy with the pewter Trans am that hangs around with Fabian. Your clutch is awesome. Love every bit of it!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Jason all the way!! Does things the right way and fast buy from him now b4 he gets big!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
As the above post reads... it's not organic (stock) material.
Carbon Kevlar coefficient is .28, standard factory organic is .25... sorry for the mixup. .03 difference isn't that big of a deal, most people use "organic" as a generic term. With a 2500# plate load the difference between a .25 and .28 is only 63 ftlbs of torque in terms of holding capabilities.

Originally Posted by TDP
We don't use the 100% kevlar full-face disc as it tends to glaze over and doesn't have the longevity that the kevlar blend does. If you'd like to place an order, call the shop (see sig). Thanks
Kevlar on it's own works quite well actually. We see the coefficient go up to the mid .3x's with very little heat/glazing issues. Now, when you start throwing other materials in the mix you get a lot of inconsistent coefficients which lead to failed clutches. Pure Kevlar lasts longer than carbon kevlar, has a better coefficient of friction, and can handle quite a bit more heat actually...

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Being an employee of TDP I would think you'd be more cautious of what you type. That is close to vendor bashing which isn't tolerated from other supporting vendors. And I'm sure you know that chatter is contributed to numerous things, most of the time it has nothing to do with the actual clutch or friction material.

Everyone has opinions, lets all stick to the facts and help this guy chose a clutch.

I'd recommend you call TDP and Monster, after discussing both clutches with both companies make a decision based off that. All you're going to get on a forum is opinions, nobody can answer questions about each others clutches better than the manufacturer.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sure thing thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know that letting him know about all these threads was bashing. I would figure if they were "bashing" they would get deleted or locked?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...h-install.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-chatter.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-problems.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...3-chatter.html
Those are just a few....
I never said they weren't good, I said they chattered... which alot of threads have been made. If the guy can live with it, then good for him.

Quick Reply: Looking for a clutch bang for the buck