Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another clutch chatter question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another clutch chatter question...

Have had my Monster lvl 2 (18lb flywheel) for 6 months now and it still chatters when Im at a dead stop wanting to get moving (M6).Did the correct warm up period and had a mechanic install it. I engage the clutch and it chatters some. Shakes the whole car when it is warm and I have been driving all day. I talked with someone at monster a while back and he said to give it more gas. I do and it still does it. Has a new stock master cylinder which was replaced at the same time as the swap. Wondering if upgrading to a TICK master will help or is there something else I might need to do.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically chatter occurs relative to the interaction of the disc and the friction surfaces of the plate and flywheel. Higher friction coefficient materials will be more prone to this. It would be unusual for the master to affect this on its own, unless the master is slowing the return of fluid. If this were happening it would effectively cause the engagement window to be longer than normal, as though you were slipping the clutch. Have you tried getting out of the pedal faster? Did you do the drill mod on the line coming from the master?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have tried getting out of the pedal faster and adding more gas but the RPMs drop kinda fast. Have heard that it was from the lighter flywheel - heard it from a few people on here. Doesnt feel like it is like a slipping clutch like you described. No drill mod which was why I was looking into the TICK. Just weighing my possibilities to make it a little better. Thanks for the info and looking forward to your response.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

I wasn't referencing slippage per-se, but if fluid is hindered it could delay the response of the pressure-plate when compared to your release of the pedal. Having a lighter flywheel can cause a difference in the RPM"s required when leaving from a stopped position. This is why it was suggested that you increase your RPM's a bit but you seem to say that hasn't helped.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure what to check out for the cause of your issue, but I did want to chime in and say something is definitely going on there. I have a monster lvl 3 with the lightweight flywheel (stock master no drill mod) and never have had a chatter except maybe the first day after the install. Sounds like a "gaggle of geese taking off" to qoute someone from here lol, but no chatter. How quick are you getting out of the clutch? wish I could offer more up for ya =/
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I called Monster and they said that it was the twin disk and not the kevlar seeing how I bought it in 2009. They said it might have some glaze on it and to beat it some and see. Did that and it helped a little. Might just op for the kevlar one and have someone else install it. Im getting out of the clutch at about a medium pace. Just really shakes and near full disengagement. Forgot to add that I can hear something rubbing in there. Makes a weird noise that I cant really describe. Dont know what that is all about but Im about to take it in and get it checked.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

I don't beleive that they offer a twin-disc yet...maybe they meant it was their stage 2?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea it was their old stage 2. Just saw that I wrote twin disk - Duh!! Still want to know what the hell that rubbing noise is...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

So, are you hearing a sound at idle, that is separate from the chatter your experience during pedal release? Or are you hearing the "rubbing" noise only when the pedal is released? Initially I read your post and thought you meant this was one sound but now it seems you may be referencing two different noises.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im hearing the noise when Im disengaging the clutch. It does it when I first drive the car in the morning and it does it here and there when Im at a dead stop and start again.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Just wanted to make sure! Thanks...

Quick Reply: Another clutch chatter question...