General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

no brake lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brake lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok folks, drove the car tonight and noticed that i didn't have a red glow behind me when i was backing aut of the carport. so i backed up to the house and this is what i had. i had parking lights, turn signals, and the third brake light, but no main brake lights. so now, where do i start. any ideas? i don't think its the bulbs, cause they both would have had to go bad at the same time. I don't think its a fuse cause i think the third is wired in on the same fuse as the main brakes. if i'm wrong, someone please set me straight. i need help, cause i don't need anything else attracting the law, i get enough looks as it is! thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

anyone know if our cars have a switch by our brake pedals that turns the brakes lights on while braking?

if so, id check that out.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

hi,
check fuses first.then check current in/out of fuse panel.....lastly brake light switch!!!
good luck and have a blessed week.......
captain jim
Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Hes right, start with the fuse, and there is a lil brake switch on the pedal, white plastic switch.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

wouldn't the switch and fuse keep the third brake light from working also?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

So:
Regular brake lights: not working
3rd brake light: fine
Turn signals (left/right): fine
Parking lights: fine

How are the hazards?

Do the brake lights work when you have either the left or right turn signal on?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect your turn signal switch. I had the same problem and that fixed it. Of course check your fuses first, but the brake light switch controls all stop lights so with your 3rd brake light working you can rule the switch out.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

ok, still need help, third brake light works, flashers work, turn signals work, parking lights work, but the brake lights don't work. wtf!! bulbs are ok. what to check now???
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

It is really starting to sound like a turn signal switch. Unless things have really changed, the brake light circuit runs thru the turn signal switch, when you turn on the turn signal, it interupts the brake light cicuit on that side, and feeds it power from the flasher circuit.
On the other hand, it has been a really long time since I've seen a bad turn signal switch.
Check the wire coming from the brake switch, and maybe heading to the turn signal switch?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

its the turn signal switch.. fixed mine...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

ok, checked the brake switch and have voltage in and out, but couldnt trace the wires anymore than about 6" cause they run into a big bundle thats taped up. so now i need a diagram, pics or something that will show me where the wires go and where to look. i have done a little research, and i hope that i dont have to tear down the stearing column. there has to be a better way, or somewhere else i can go to make sure that is where my problem is. come on, post up!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

come on guys, of all the people on here, there is no one that has been through this before or someone that has a link to diagram or pics or something that will help.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

I think the people have been preety helpful. The fact that you dont want tear your column apart is another story. Did you check for power at the light sockets? After that you can trace wires through the car for breaks or shorts. Or, you can change your turn signal switch like many who have experienced your problem suggested.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsta02
come on guys, of all the people on here, there is no one that has been through this before or someone that has a link to diagram or pics or something that will help.
Ummm... two posts ago ANTICOP RAM AIR pointed out that they did have the same problem and have the probable answer. BTW - If it isn't your turn signal switch, you have worse problems like a cut somewhere! So, you either have a medium effort/medium cost repair to fix the switch or a very high effort-time/low cost repair to do.

Look - someone even posted a handy how-to for the replacement: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

You can test the turn signal switch at the connector at the base of the column. (Its the connector that DOES NOT look like the one in 21A of the post above.) This isn't a precise diagram - but its good enough to trace your problem: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...chmentid=29845

At the connector, the brake input comes in to the White wire, goes up to the turn signal switch and then comes back down the column and goes out the rear lights via the Dark Green and Yellow wires. Check the continuity between White and Yellow/Dark Green. If there is no continuity with the the turn signal switch in the neutral position - its hosed.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im having this same issue but my brakes lights dont work ONLY when my driving/headlights are on? any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

theres a ground strap that runs right up near the latch for the hatch (sorry for the rhyme, unavoidable.) check that.

it was broken on my car (jack *** previous owner liked electrical tape) and caused my actual brake lights to not function, top one still worked, and every time i tapped the brakes the gauge cluster dimmed and the turn signals either slowed down a ton or stopped working all together

Quick Reply: no brake lights!!!!!!!!!!!!