Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Converter Problem

I bought a used TCI Super Street Fighter off a local guy, he said the converter worked good when removed and it had been sitting for 6 months or so. I drained as much fluid out of it as I could, filled it up, drained it again and refilled it. I got the converter in last night and with it in gear on the lift everything seemed to be working fine. I get it on the ground and try to back it out of the garage and the car wont move. The trans is full of fluid. Is the converter just shot or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Zach
Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Shift linkage maybe?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Well I did break the damn shifter cable when I was dropping the trans but I can put the trans in gear by hand and it still wont move. When I put it in gear I can feel it engage but nothing more than that.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zachkeeth
Well I did break the damn shifter cable when I was dropping the trans but I can put the trans in gear by hand and it still wont move. When I put it in gear I can feel it engage but nothing more than that.
Recheck the fluid in neutral running.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pull a cooler line and see if the pump is pumping, start it up for a few seconds and see what happens.....

Chris
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Pull a cooler line and see if the pump is pumping, start it up for a few seconds and see what happens.....

Chris
Pulled the cooler line and started it. It pumped fluid out. Any idea what the problem is?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
FormerVendor

Pulled the cooler line and started it. It pumped fluid out. Any idea what the problem is?
Well, we can eliminate the pump, it appears to be working. Do you feel it go into gear? Do have park? Basically are you sure the linkage is working?

Chris
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

I can feel it going into gear, I have the cable off the shifter and I am putting it into gear by pulling the cable by hand. I have park. I have it back on the lift now and it is doing nothing at all when I put it in gear besides changing the engine rpms and I can feel it engage.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

either not enough fluid, real high stall and your not giving it enough gas, parking brake is on, etc-how about forward, takes less pressure, will it move
was the converter seated properly in the trans
diff engine combos will make a same converter act diff, thats why a custom converter is spec'ed for a certain combo
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Teching In

It is showing enough fluid. I've let it gradually build rpms up to 3000 and no movement in forward or reverse. Parking brake is off. I uses a straight edge to check the seat of the converter in the trans and it was a little over 1.25" from the face of the bell housing and with the trans back on the block it was a little more than 1/8" from the flex plate.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is showing enough fluid. I've let it gradually build rpms up to 3000 and no movement in forward or reverse. Parking brake is off. I uses a straight edge to check the seat of the converter in the trans and it was a little over 1.25" from the face of the bell housing and with the trans back on the block it was a little more than 1/8" from the flex plate.
It sounds like you've checked everything that could possibly cause this problem. It could be that the seller wasn't honest with you and that he broke the converter. If your car moves with the stock converter back in it, then you'll know for sure that the other converter is broken.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I think you are right. I'm going to pull it out tonight and take it to my local tranny shop and have them cut it open tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Sounding like something wrong in the converter. Sadly.....

Chris
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM

I bought a used TCI Super Street Fighter off a local guy, he said the converter worked good when removed and it had been sitting for 6 months or so. I drained as much fluid out of it as I could, filled it up, drained it again and refilled it. I got the converter in last night and with it in gear on the lift everything seemed to be working fine. I get it on the ground and try to back it out of the garage and the car wont move. The trans is full of fluid. Is the converter just shot or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Zach
I hate to say it you might have broke the front pump when you did the install.... happens alot..... put a gauge on it and see if you have preasure.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-10-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Well had the converter cut open this morning and the clutch was destroyed in it.