General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Flush

This is not for my z but for a 07 Ram. This thing has 60k and the AC compressor blew up from the inside out, top notch stuff

I know the basics of flushing out the AC system, but I never had to.

What and how do I do this with?

Brake cleaner then shop air? Or what else can I use?

I am replacing all the necessary stuff, receiver drier, orifice tube and the compressor. . . . Just the flush part I don't quite know.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone? ? ? ? Anyone at all?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never tried to flush an A/C system outside of work but I think it would be very hard. Especially since the compressor came apart and it will be very difficult to truly get all the metal out. I recommend trying to find someone with an ACR2000 A/C machine or one that's comparable. On these machines you take out the orifice tube, hook the machine up, and it flushes refrigerant oil througout the system. It took me A LOT of oil to get the metal out of my personal car. I honestly can't even fathom how I would flush a system without contaminating it with a foreign substance such as brake clean. If I were to try, I'd say use refrigerant oil as a "flush" or try to take off every line and clean them individually.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I've never tried to flush an A/C system outside of work but I think it would be very hard. Especially since the compressor came apart and it will be very difficult to truly get all the metal out. I recommend trying to find someone with an ACR2000 A/C machine or one that's comparable. On these machines you take out the orifice tube, hook the machine up, and it flushes refrigerant oil througout the system. It took me A LOT of oil to get the metal out of my personal car. I honestly can't even fathom how I would flush a system without contaminating it with a foreign substance such as brake clean. If I were to try, I'd say use refrigerant oil as a "flush" or try to take off every line and clean them individually.

Uggh

Well, thank you for the reply. . . . . I can't say how back the compressor came apart, but still.

****, the vehicle is easy to work on. . . . But, there is no way I am taking the evaporator out.

****. . . . . . . . .
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.hecatinc.com/flushing_tech_article.htm

More than you want to know, but what it takes to do it right.

Ryan
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

As much as I would love to do it this way. . . It is not gonna happen, we are broke. He has no money and I only have the bare necessary tools needed for a "good" AC system assembly.

I am thinking: Remove the compressor, orifice tube and accumulator, spray a can of "crap" in the evaporator and condenser then hit it em' with shop air . . . . Resemble, pull a vacuum and hit it with a charge. . . .

Should be good as long as there is no crap inside the system. . . . I was thinking a quality flush would be necessary, but it's not gonna happen

On this vehicle this a $800+ job in a quality shop, this way is under 300 Bucks.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samson_420
As much as I would love to do it this way. . . It is not gonna happen, we are broke. He has no money and I only have the bare necessary tools needed for a "good" AC system assembly.

I am thinking: Remove the compressor, orifice tube and accumulator, spray a can of "crap" in the evaporator and condenser then hit it em' with shop air . . . . Resemble, pull a vacuum and hit it with a charge. . . .

Should be good as long as there is no crap inside the system. . . . I was thinking a quality flush would be necessary, but it's not gonna happen

On this vehicle this a $800+ job in a quality shop, this way is under 300 Bucks.
I think since you're replacing most of the parts I'd just try flush each part as best as possible. It all depends on how bad the compressor cam apart and hopefully the drier caught the greatest portion. If you do it with that stuff you buy at the parts store a couple of times I don't see any reason you couldn't get all of it out.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I think since you're replacing most of the parts I'd just try flush each part as best as possible. It all depends on how bad the compressor cam apart and hopefully the drier caught the greatest portion. If you do it with that stuff you buy at the parts store a couple of times I don't see any reason you couldn't get all of it out.

I think it will be alright. . . . The compressor seems to be in one piece still, I think.

Although I am pretty sure something is funky in there. I charged with a die can yesterday and the system was completely empty. It seemed to also have a residue around the low side. I think he tried to hit it with the can of death from VatoZone.

I will need to clean my gauges after this crap too. Who knows what's in there. . . . . He also had it at the dealer right before it started leaking very bad. . . They charged him a 150 Bucks and replaced the accumulator only. 2 weeks later it was very low. . . . . Hmmmmmmmm. . . Mystery work sucks.

But, with it should be good this time around.

Quick Reply: AC Flush