Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on BRP swap kits for GM A-body conv?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thoughts on BRP swap kits for GM A-body conv?

I was going to piece things together, but I see that BRP now has a complete kit for a LS engine w/T56 for convertibles including tranny crossmember. I could fab up everything but doubt it would be as nice and theirs I hope would make everything work together the first time.

Any thoughts on their kits? Anybody ever use a complete kit on an A-body? A convertible a-body?

Thx!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody? And related, they say I can use either the H3 or the CTS-V oil pan w/their kit. I've read there are differences that make later crate motor pans less desirable. Is there a particular one I should try to get?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The H3 / LH8 pan will hang down pertty low.. CTS-V is not bad, that is what I am runniing (it has it problems on pan clearences also ). The BRP sets up there engine mounts a bit high due to the H3 pan.

the do make a complete setup and if installed as directed, is an easy drop in.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont mind the price for for a few pieces of metal.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mesquitebean
If you dont mind the price for for a few pieces of metal.
Hmmm...so those scrap pieces of metal I have are just going to jump out and bolt right up...no issues! Sign me up!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Hi there, I've actually bought a kit for my 72 Coupe - about to trial fit the motor and have the CTSV pan conversion. Will update you how it goes - probably about 2 weeks away - awaiting some powdercoating bits back first
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Hmmm...so those scrap pieces of metal I have are just going to jump out and bolt right up...no issues! Sign me up!
I would have purchased the brackets also, but the price wasnt realistic. Ive got a MIG, Torch, Drill press and 1/4 plate. Paid 12 dollars for the poly bushings. I havent got the tranny mount yet though, but im sure it isnt too expensive. I think its a great kit, but i think its only worth half what they are asking for it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

giver dude, I had their 1st gen kit. Mine works great, they only improved on the design. I'd run the camaro pan though, my car is pretty low and I am happy that I went camaro pan. any more hang down and that bitch would be leakin some oil!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have there kit. Im using an lq4/4l80 engine combo and it set in there real nice. No issues with power steering or ac pump. The LH8 pan does hang about 1 1/2" below the cross member so I welded an angled skid plate to it to help. Mines not running just yet so no road stories to tell. It does have Eibach lowering springs in it tho. the headers hang a little bit lower so if you hit your going to get them also....Others are right, does seem a little $$ for what you get...But it does save alot of trial n error fitting it up...
Rick
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

An angle skid plate in front of the pan? That would only protect the front edge, and once you got over that (which the angle would facilitate) your car and pan would come slamming down on top of whatever it is.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may have had an exciting "tug" on the streets once upon a time, big bump came up and my car bottom'd out, hit the crossmember pretty good, threw some sparks, and no oilpan damage, Camaro pan I suggest LOL

Quick Reply: Thoughts on BRP swap kits for GM A-body conv?