LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LT4 Starter Issues

Installed it a few months ago, started grinding a few days ago. Not sure if I need shims/new bolts. I used the stock bolts. It starts everytime. Any ideas and part numbers for the bolts?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bolts don't set the pinion depth, the shims do, but I have never seen an LT1 need starter shims. I would pull off the flywheel inspection cover and see if there is any damage to the pinion gear, also making sure it fully engages smoothly.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the mounting bolts are still tight
Old 03-19-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The bolts don't set the pinion depth, the shims do, but I have never seen an LT1 need starter shims. I would pull off the flywheel inspection cover and see if there is any damage to the pinion gear, also making sure it fully engages smoothly.
FWIW, I had to shim my starter, but it was after I installed a TCI flexplate.

To the OP, I'd check the bolts, especially if the noise started a while after you put the starter back in...
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Anyone have the starter bolt part numbers? I think my short bolt is wrong and causing the started to mis align
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Just put my oil pan back on and started getting a starter grind after engine warmed up and heat sinks the metal (expanding it somewhat). Starter was fine when cold but had to put in 2 shims to stop grinding/binding when hot. Funny thing is, I don't believe I had ever used shims before. AutoZone has em for small block chevy. Use the ones that are straight across instead of the other which is staggered. Only have to drop one bolt and simply loosen the other. Very easy to do without removing starter.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ im pretty sure when you install a starter on an lt1 it say not to use shims. Even new starters come with a paper saying not to use shims
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
^^^^ im pretty sure when you install a starter on an lt1 it say not to use shims. Even new starters come with a paper saying not to use shims
If it doesn't line up then you are going to have to do something. I haven't had to ever use any shims on any of my lt1's.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it dont line up then something is wrong.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Actually the helms workshop manual for my '96 vette specifically states to use shims as necessary. YMMV.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Just put my oil pan back on and started getting a starter grind after engine warmed up and heat sinks the metal (expanding it somewhat). Starter was fine when cold but had to put in 2 shims to stop grinding/binding when hot. Funny thing is, I don't believe I had ever used shims before. AutoZone has em for small block chevy. Use the ones that are straight across instead of the other which is staggered. Only have to drop one bolt and simply loosen the other. Very easy to do without removing starter.

Funny you mention that, as my starter didn't have any shims initially, but after I had the car apart to fix a couple of oil leaks that LT1s ALL develop, I was getting a little grind when the starter would dis-engage, especially when the engine was fully heated up. I bought a package of shims, and installed the thinnest one, and the bind went away.

A couple of years later, when some new oil leaks developed, I decided to pull the tranny, and replace the rear mail seal with the new design, and while in there, I opted to put in a heavy duty flexplate, and I then needed to install a thicker shim, to stop the bind....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Not to thread hijack but what is the purpose of running the lt4 starter on a lt1 vs just a stock one? Thanks and sorry...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats a vette not the same as the camaro, the flex plates are diffrent i think as well, so shiming that one my be needed. Also was the starter that said to shim a ac delco or a knock off? i never heard of shiming an lt1 starter, its just interesting to me. When they grind or bind we replace them and that almost always solves the problem.but hey if a shim works for $3 that much better than 100 or more
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

sometimes aftermarket starters need to be shimmed
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Double check the bolts as others said.

I had one of the starter bolts FALL OUT and it still started. There was just a good amount of grinding.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Funny you mention that, as my starter didn't have any shims initially, but after I had the car apart to fix a couple of oil leaks that LT1s ALL develop, I was getting a little grind when the starter would dis-engage, especially when the engine was fully heated up. I bought a package of shims, and installed the thinnest one, and the bind went away.

A couple of years later, when some new oil leaks developed, I decided to pull the tranny, and replace the rear mail seal with the new design, and while in there, I opted to put in a heavy duty flexplate, and I then needed to install a thicker shim, to stop the bind....
Leadfoot, strange things seem to develop sometimes. I have the original 6spd, original block, original starter and yet, after reassembling the intake, heads and oil pan the starter began binding when engine was warm. Strange....Hopefully the OP won't get confused by the other posts here that are going off in tangents and will go down to the parts store, get the shims to address the problem for which they are designed, and have a long-lived starter.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Leadfoot, strange things seem to develop sometimes. I have the original 6spd, original block, original starter and yet, after reassembling the intake, heads and oil pan the starter began binding when engine was warm. Strange....Hopefully the OP won't get confused by the other posts here that are going off in tangents and will go down to the parts store, get the shims to address the problem for which they are designed, and have a long-lived starter.
Yeah, I pretty much had the same situation occur for me. All of my parts are original to the car, except for the flexplate....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yeah, I pretty much had the same situation occur for me. All of my parts are original to the car, except for the flexplate....
Witch is why you had to shim most likley
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

96TABoosted, why do you think my original everything (concerned with this problem anyway) suddenly developed an interference problem with starter gear and required shimming at 126K miles? Actually, I loosened the bolts TWICE and slowly torqued each in steps to reseat the starter to no avail until I used the shims.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

96TABoosted, why do you think my original everything (concerned with this problem anyway) suddenly developed an interference problem with starter gear and required shimming at 126K miles? Actually, I loosened the bolts TWICE and slowly torqued each in steps to reseat the starter to no avail until I used the shims.
Just my $0.02 worth....As closely as the starter bolts are, diameter wise, to the holes in the starter, there's a few thousandths of an inch clearance, and I would guess that if the nose of the starter is "angled" by that amount, the clearance between the starte's pinion and the flywheel changes, causing the bind.

In my care, IIRC, I installed a 0.030 thick shim. That's pretty thin, but enough to cure the problem.

Which is why you had to shim most likley

I have no doubt that is the situation....

Quick Reply: LT4 Starter Issues