Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What suspension components to buy first for increased 60'???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What suspension components to buy first for increased 60'???

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to the whole drag strip scene, and I was wondering in what order did you guys build up your suspension. Ideally I would like to buy all the stuff at once, but unfortunately my pockets are not that deep. So seeing as how I am only able to buy one piece at a time; what order should I go in? As of right now I have completely stock WS6 suspension, and I am putting down 450 rwhp N/A. I intend to keep the 10 for as long as it will last. Also what would be the best bang for the buck suspension mods? Should I buy a tourque arm first or SFC's or LCA's? What mods will help the most? Somebody help me put together a plan! Thaks
Old 02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote SFC's and LCA's. these cars just like to twist themselves into a pretzle way too much to not do SFC's.

LCA's will help lose the wheel hop if you are staying on a radial tire of any type with that 10 bolt. relocation brackets for the lca's are a great item as well.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

I personally did not think that lca's helped that much, however that was my first susp. mod. I am about to go with sfc's and a torque arm and I hope that is going to drop my 60's. I have hals as well and have never had a 1.8x 60 foot on dr's, some say it could be the track. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far with a completely stock suspension I have been cuttin 1.7x's with a 3.23 gear and ET streets. Do I still need SFC's if I have a weld in 4 point cage? The cage really seemed to stiffin up the chasis. I guess it looks like LCA's are the next mod. Do I need to buy the relocation brackets at the same time, or do I only need them if I change my springs? What would you guys suggest after the LCA's (assuming that I don't need SFC's)? I'm trying to compile a complete ordered list. I would like to the do the mods in the most effective order, with efficiency being measured in 60' times.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:31 PM
8 Second Club

The only change that I have made was a Torque Arm.Nothing else.Even still have the stock rear end.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:55 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

The relocation brackets did not seem to help, I did no lower the car though. I am about to go with some et drags and hope that helps. Most likely if you have no wheel hop there is no reason to put lca's on. Go with the torque atm.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 PM

Lca's!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok T/A it is thanks guys. I don't really feel like I'm experiencing any wheelhop. I was under the inpression that a T/A had to tie into the LCA's somehow. Maybe I didn't quite understand the post tha I read. Can somebody please clarify me on this? Also does anyone know the answer to my roll cage question; "are LCA's necessary with a cage or does the cage add enough rigidty?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

ive always wondered how do lower control arms help 60'
are they different length (or do you adjust them with the adjustable type)
or are they just stronger then the flimsy stock pieces

and do adjustable LCA help more then the non adjustable type?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Since you want to keep the 10-bolt for a while...before suspension mods, I'd do the following in this order: 1) Get a AAA card for towing or buddy-up to someone with a trailer, then, 2) Get some slicks. Seriously, a good set of ET Streets or slicks on a stock suspension car will do wonders.

If you've got slicks, pull the front swaybar off. A good set of drag struts up front do well but are not cheap.

Take care and good luck.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I do have a set of ET streets that I am running now, and surprisingly I am cutting 1.7x with them on the stock suspension. I believe Eibach makes something called a drag kit, which contains rear springs and airbags. Does anyone have any experience with the kit?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I personally would not go with the Eiback set-up. IMO: LCA, PHR, SFC, TA, shocks and spring (in that order). BADZ (one of our sponsors) has some great PHR and LCA. There are numerous SFC - I think BMR or I believe Spohn (both sponsors) would be great. Adjustable front and rear QA1s with their drag springs in front and V6 spring in the rear. A good Random Tech TA There you go. Lower your ETs to 15lbs and let'm rip. Oh buy the way. M6 or A4? Stock 10 bolt? Once you start mod'ing you'll never stop Mine "use to be" my daily street driver. Now look

David
Old 02-19-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would springs/shocks are probably the most important to me, thats what I saw the biggest increase with....

I had the firehawk ordered bilstein suspension originally on the car from SLP, I replaced that setup with HAL's all around with V8 springs in the rear and picked up a lot, I haven't run the car with the addition of the V8 springs in the rear, I was running the car with the Eibach lowering springs I had before in the rear......still cut 1.60 60' with those.....
Old 02-19-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is an A4 with stock 10 bolt with 3.23's my 3.73's just showed up yesterday, Hopefully they will help.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

3.73's will also be a nice gain.......