Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3: Do I need an oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3: Do I need an oil cooler?

I have an LS3 (L76 with a LS3 top/front end, cammed, probably 530ish hp) that is going into a 69 firebird and coupled to a Tremec Magnum T-56.

I received the crate motor with the oil holes taped off, which spawned my investigation of what to do. I think there are some manufacturers that make a simple U-turn fitting with ports for oil press/temp, but I have also heard that the LS3 comes with a factory oil cooler.

Do I need an oil cooler for daily driving? The car may see a track day or two, so I'm thinking I might as well plan ahead and install one now if I need it. Attached is a pic of the Champ pan.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/...4ae646b10d.jpg

Any recommendations, pending that I need one? I did a quick search and it appears these things are in the range of $500+
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn is that 530 crank or rear wheel?
You will be fine without an oil cooler, just get the gm block off plate.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Hehe, nah, 530 at the crank.

From your signature, it looks like you have a hefty LS3. Have you ever attended a track day? I'm just worried about oil temps creeping up, even with synthetics, at a track day or in hot, humid Houston weather.

Btw, does the GM blockoff plate have 2 ports for temp and pressure?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i'v been to a track day, but not with this new LS3. You could get the GM truck oil cooler lines that bolt right up on the spot above the oil filter, you could probably run the lines infront of the radiator, to an autozone tranny cooler or something like that, if your real worried about.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

I autocross my L92 / LS3 hybrid regularly and do not have a problem with oil temps, you should be fine daily driving it.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. If you have any links to block offs that have two ports for temp/press, please post them up.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on block offs.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

What are your cooling plans for the car? An OE style radiator and clutch fan or newer aluminum radiator with electric fans? This a more important question than needing an oil cooler imo. If the budget provides, Ron Davis makes a great radiator with built in oil cooler and all you'd need to do is buy fittings and plumb it. The more coolers you can get for a car that will see a road course the better...especially if you plan to go on some hot summer days. Necessary? Probably not, but I don't know your track experience, so maybe it is
Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 PM
QTB
Teching In

I do track days with a lot of vetts (C6) and I always see them taking a cool down lap. I asked why and it's usually oil temps. I'm personally going to be using a 8qt pan, +1.5 qt for a massive cooler and probably +3qt accumulator as well on my ls2, but I push it very hard for 15-20 min when I hit the track with corners up to 1.7G or so. That's my $.02
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

an accusump is a band-aid and if you are pulling that many Gs through corners with an LS2 and only an accusump..hate to say it, but you're on limited time my friend Please, seriously consider a dry sump..same goes for the OP. LS2/3/7s do not like high G cornering with sticky tires; especially sustained high G left hand corners (sustained meaning ~2 seconds or more)
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM
QTB
Teching In

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
an accusump is a band-aid and if you are pulling that many Gs through corners with an LS2 and only an accusump..hate to say it, but you're on limited time my friend Please, seriously consider a dry sump..same goes for the OP. LS2/3/7s do not like high G cornering with sticky tires; especially sustained high G left hand corners (sustained meaning ~2 seconds or more)
You seem well versed on the subject given your sig. What are your thoughts on this oil pan? It's baffled with trap doors in the lower section that holds the majority of the oil.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

I only know what I read and talk to others about from racing. I've never heard of anyone using that pan nor do I have any knowledge on that pan. GM made a batwing style pan for the LS2 and LS3 with baffling, and motors were still failing both on track only cars and HPDE cars. The only thing that has kept the motors together is a 3 stage dry sump from ARE or AVIAID..which kind of sucks..a lot! I haven't heard any definitive feedback from people who have had new motors built with better drain back in the heads, nor from people with higher flowing/pressure oil pumps.

I have a Melling high flow/pressure pump on my LS3 416..but I also don't plan on pushing my street car Camaro as hard as my Corvette when on track.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
QTB
Teching In

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I only know what I read and talk to others about from racing. I've never heard of anyone using that pan nor do I have any knowledge on that pan. GM made a batwing style pan for the LS2 and LS3 with baffling, and motors were still failing both on track only cars and HPDE cars. The only thing that has kept the motors together is a 3 stage dry sump from ARE or AVIAID..which kind of sucks..a lot! I haven't heard any definitive feedback from people who have had new motors built with better drain back in the heads, nor from people with higher flowing/pressure oil pumps.

I have a Melling high flow/pressure pump on my LS3 416..but I also don't plan on pushing my street car Camaro as hard as my Corvette when on track.
Okay. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll report back if/when she blows. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Quick Reply: LS3: Do I need an oil cooler?