General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hot motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot motor

Soooo, just sold the 2000 ss camaro as is with a waterpump going bad (squeaky and antifreeze smell, losing coolant) I let the purchasee know that it was going bad and he said he woudl buy it and replace it. He gave me the cash and we changed the title over. As they were driving it home the car over heated and they shut it off quickly. The car was not missing or showed no exhaust water smoke when they purchased the car. They are angry (I would be too) and think that now a head is probably cracked or the gasket is blown. How good of a chance is there that that is true? They had it towed to a mechanic and he is supposed to be checking it out. If I could do it over again I would have fixed the damn waterpump myself and sold the car for a little more... Sighhhh, now I'm in a mess... The Car had 75k on it...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Caveat emptor, tell them to go fly a kite unless you have given them some type of written warranty.. If they knew the issue needed resolved before they took the car they should have had it towed themselves. The thing was a ticking time bomb IMHO..

The head could very well be cracked. Aluminum does not like heat like that..

My honest guess is that they were flooring it not watching the temp gauge..

This is not your problem. You let them know the situation, they broke the car.

It is unfortunate but its no longer your responsibility.. It would be a lot dif if you had lied about it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

When you crack a head or blow a head gasket you will always see a antifreeze exhaust smoke or the engine will miss correct? It definitely want doing that before I sold it and I fear it will be now and they will try to say it was already doing that but it wasn't!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

That sucks but you informed them of the possible problem and solution. Next time I’d have a bill of sale so if something does happen, you’ll be in the clear.
Example
http://siy.cars.com/pdf/carscom_bill_of_sale.pdf

You have to protect yourself now days. Last year I sold a 02 subi and the guy destroyed the trans within the first couple hours. He said he was just driving easy and then all of a sudden lost 1st and 3rd gear. I helped remove the trans since he was a friend of a friend but that was it. After the trans was fixed he admitted to launching and spinning all 4 tires.

It's possible they saw the high temp and shut it down. So it could just be a HG replacement and head checked.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so when you say "exhuast water smoke"... what do you mean?

I think my car maybe doing this, also at 75k.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I mean exhaust blowing out white smoke that smells like antifreeze when you let it soak into your hand from the tailpipe.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh ok. thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel bad at all about this. Assuming you are telling the truth (and I'm not doubting it), you gave them fair warning about the water pump. Anybody with common sense either would have brought coolant to refill the system, or at least kept a close eye on the temp gauge and shut it off before it got to the red. Or, perhaps best of all, had it towed to its destination. You sold a used car, now it's their baby.