Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

f-n spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f-n spacers

Alright, I've searched and read and apparently the consensus is i need spacers to keep my v from looking like an 83 monte carlo in arkansas. My H&R's will be here friday and i was hoping to lower and powdercoat my wheels in 1 weekend. However, if my ride height is going to correct itself and skyrocket the rear i dont see the point in putting the springs on yet. I can build my own spacers but am not sure if i can get pc, springs, and fabricating spacers done in this small amount of time.

Has anyone had luck lowering without spacers (or coilovers). If so, please show pics and save me some time.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, gotta have spacers on the rear, no doubt about it. buy some from mightymouse.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can make your own. It's easy. Pm me if u need input.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, pretty easy to make your own....but MM prices his very reasonably.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-solution.html
Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Yup, went with Mighty Mouse. The price was too good (even with 2nd day shipping) to screw up my weekend trying to fab something and end up taking the car apart 3 times to get things right. Thanks all for confirming what I needed to do.

Does anybody have any tips to make the spring and spacer install go quicker? This isn't my first time doing this to a car and I consider myself mechanically inclined. However, the first time I swapped springs on an Accord took 6 hours... The fourth took about an hour... Is there anything I'm going to stare at, beat on, or swear at but after it's done say "that was easy if I'd just know that stupid little fastener was..." Any tips appreciated; it looks like EVERYONE on the forum has already done this mod.

Thanks,
Jenks
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could use washers. It's not that hard. Go to lowes, buy washers and install. Easy enuff.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
You could use washers. It's not that hard. Go to lowes, buy washers and install. Easy enuff.
Would you mind PM'ing me details on going about it this way>??? I just ordered some springs myself and saving money is always a good thing!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jenks40
Yup, went with Mighty Mouse. The price was too good (even with 2nd day shipping) to screw up my weekend trying to fab something and end up taking the car apart 3 times to get things right. Thanks all for confirming what I needed to do.

Does anybody have any tips to make the spring and spacer install go quicker? This isn't my first time doing this to a car and I consider myself mechanically inclined. However, the first time I swapped springs on an Accord took 6 hours... The fourth took about an hour... Is there anything I'm going to stare at, beat on, or swear at but after it's done say "that was easy if I'd just know that stupid little fastener was..." Any tips appreciated; it looks like EVERYONE on the forum has already done this mod.

Thanks,
Jenks
Take the back seats out and do the spacers from there........much much easier.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Take the back seats out and do the spacers from there........much much easier.
this x2...and use a lift if you can. a hell of a lot easier then with jack and jack stands.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Launching!

IMO, just get the MM spacers and do it right the first time.

I installed my H&R springs and spacers last weekend....spirited driving with 5 people and no rubbing what so ever
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

I don't understand why people take the back seat out to lower the rear. I've lowered two Vs without taking out the rear seat. The bolts on the shock are easily accessed with the seat in place.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
I don't understand why people take the back seat out to lower the rear. I've lowered two Vs without taking out the rear seat. The bolts on the shock are easily accessed with the seat in place.
Cause it 10 bolts that keep you from having to be bent over the trunk to do it. When you can just reach your hand in 6 inches and access the shock.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Cause it 10 bolts that keep you from having to be bent over the trunk to do it. When you can just reach your hand in 6 inches and access the shock.
I've done it both ways, remove the rear seat.... well worth it, it is so easy to take out, and opens things up a lot more.

It can be done without taking it out yes, but that may also contribute to a "6 hour" cts-v lowering...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Once i figured out how to get out the rear seats (didnt realize the lower was not attached and got to the nuts the hard way) it is a 10 minute rear seat removal.

Mighty Mouse did me a solid and responded to my drunken midnight email and had my spacers shipped the next day to arrive by friday. The quality was excellent and the install was easy. Thanks a ton!

I'm also very happy with the H&R springs. I've heard people say they arent low enough, but I can barely get my fingers between the tires and the wheel well.

Thanks for everybody who gave advice. I'll try to post a pic...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah. Get this... My dumb@$$ got done with the install this afternoon and was so excited to go for a ride I left the key to my wheel locks on the front drivers side wheel for my test run. When i got back I started cleaning up and putting tools away and couldnt find the key. Then it dawned on me, last time I saw it was.... well... on the lug! ****! I walked in and told my GF "gotta go". I retraced my drive at 15 mph and found it lying in the middle of the street over 2 miles away from the house. Damn lucky it didnt hit a kid in the head.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Oh yeah. Get this... My dumb@$$ got done with the install this afternoon and was so excited to go for a ride I left the key to my wheel locks on the front drivers side wheel for my test run. When i got back I started cleaning up and putting tools away and couldnt find the key. Then it dawned on me, last time I saw it was.... well... on the lug! ****! I walked in and told my GF "gotta go". I retraced my drive at 15 mph and found it lying in the middle of the street over 2 miles away from the house. Damn lucky it didnt hit a kid in the head.
I can't believe you found it!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

That happened to me too but my key actually stayed attached to the lug nut the entire drive.