Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mono or 2 Channel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mono or 2 Channel

I want to buy 2 sony 12" subs with 380 rms would it be better to have 2 mono amps or one 2 channel amp. I plan on using boss audio amps
Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say with subs, you're better off with Class D amps, and almost all of them are mono-blocks. Depending on on the impedances and how you connect the voice coils, you could drive both cones from a single mono-block. You really didn't give enough information to give an informed answer.

Which sony cones? DVC or SVC? What impedance? 380 RMS total, or per cone?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Capricio
I would say with subs, you're better off with Class D amps, and almost all of them are mono-blocks. Depending on on the impedances and how you connect the voice coils, you could drive both cones from a single mono-block. You really didn't give enough information to give an informed answer.

Which sony cones? DVC or SVC? What impedance? 380 RMS total, or per cone?
380 rms each model number Sony XS-L12S 4ohms
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if Boss's specs are to be believed, then the Boss CE2800D is the smallest monoblock class D they make, and alleges to produce:

RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
* 2 ohms: 1200 watts x 1 chan.

So just load them in parallel and go to town with an extra 400W. I'm guessing it won't really make that much, but that's fine your case. The important thing is it's rated higher than what you need and is stable at 2 Ohms.

I recommend an AP-10001D for about the same price, but if you like Boss, go with it. So, the original question was "Two amps, or a two channel amp?" and I would say "neither".
Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from both of those honestly. Boss and Sony are not the companies you want to be buying amps and subs from. You can do much better for your money.
The power ratings they are telling you are bogus.
I have access to Boss Audios full line of products and I never use them. They have some ok cheapo DVD units that I have used in the past because the customer insisted but that's it.
Just wanted to give you a heads up on that stuff as you can do better then that with the same amount of money and get better equipment that will perform much better. I just went through this with a guy at the UPS store I ship stuff through. His buddy bought 2 10" Audiopipe subs, enclosure, and a cheapo Pyramid amp that is "2000" watts. All for the bargain price of $375.00 from another car audio place.
I put together a single JBL 12" sub, slot port enclosure, JBL amp, front speakers and install gear for $350.00. His single 12" puts out way more bass then his buddies 2 10" system with a 600watt amp. Of course this is a real 600watts vs. 2000 fake watts.

As for your question, use 1 monoblock amp. You would wire them in parallel giving the amp a 2ohm load. You can use a 2 channel but they are less efficient then a monoblock class D amp which is why they are generally used for bass applications.
The wiring would look like this:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

Hope this helps!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Exclamation Thanks

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I would stay away from both of those honestly. Boss and Sony are not the companies you want to be buying amps and subs from. You can do much better for your money.
The power ratings they are telling you are bogus.
I have access to Boss Audios full line of products and I never use them. They have some ok cheapo DVD units that I have used in the past because the customer insisted but that's it.
Just wanted to give you a heads up on that stuff as you can do better then that with the same amount of money and get better equipment that will perform much better. I just went through this with a guy at the UPS store I ship stuff through. His buddy bought 2 10" Audiopipe subs, enclosure, and a cheapo Pyramid amp that is "2000" watts. All for the bargain price of $375.00 from another car audio place.
I put together a single JBL 12" sub, slot port enclosure, JBL amp, front speakers and install gear for $350.00. His single 12" puts out way more bass then his buddies 2 10" system with a 600watt amp. Of course this is a real 600watts vs. 2000 fake watts.

As for your question, use 1 monoblock amp. You would wire them in parallel giving the amp a 2ohm load. You can use a 2 channel but they are less efficient then a monoblock class D amp which is why they are generally used for bass applications.
The wiring would look like this:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

Hope this helps!!

I started seeing some of the reviews on those guys and decided to go with one of your packages
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpac716
I started seeing some of the reviews on those guys and decided to go with one of your packages
I appreciate the business, but that's not why I told you that. I really wanted you to get the most for your money. I have seen guys spend hundreds of dollars guessing what sounds good and what works. I was that guy a very long time ago when I was 16. I spent so much time in audio shops learning everything I could from good installers who knew good equipment and just kept up with the tech over the years in my own installs. Alot of guys spent time in machine shops or mechanics garages, I was in audio shops sponging up all the knowledge I could. I still learn stuff everyday.
Anyway, thanks again for the business and I look forward to helping you out any way I can!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I appreciate the business, but that's not why I told you that. I really wanted you to get the most for your money. I have seen guys spend hundreds of dollars guessing what sounds good and what works. I was that guy a very long time ago when I was 16. I spent so much time in audio shops learning everything I could from good installers who knew good equipment and just kept up with the tech over the years in my own installs. Alot of guys spent time in machine shops or mechanics garages, I was in audio shops sponging up all the knowledge I could. I still learn stuff everyday.
Anyway, thanks again for the business and I look forward to helping you out any way I can!
I didn't think it was but you are by far the most recommended audio sponsor on here and that many people can't be wrong.