Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Note when replacing window motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note when replacing window motor

So i just finished installing my drivers side window motor and it was pretty difficult. bout 3hrs and sore fingers later its done but what took 45min alone was getting the bolts and nuts that came with the new motor on.

Im writing this because ive looked around and everybody says its easy to do a window motor swap, etc, etc. well it is but from the few threads i read about people having a hard time lining up the holes or getting a bolt in and the other two cant even get started....make sure the pilot piece on the very end of the gear part of the motor is seated ALL the way in the hole for it. otherwise youll get one maybe two bolts in and the other cant even reach to start. just a heads up as ive seen this no where on here. oh and try not to do this on a windy day fyi
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

did you pull the speaker out and just reach through there? it took me about 25 minutes a side doing it that way
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM
On The Tree

Also much easier with the correct rivets, the bolts come loose and break, the bolts aren't as big at the rivets and allow the assembly to move. Like most that have used the bolts, you will be re-doing it shortly.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I may be one of the lucky few but I replaced mine with the bolts and it has last 5-6 years.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Youre not lucky when using bolts, youre damn lucky your motor has lasted half that long..lol

Grind off the regulator gear shaft on the motor about 1/4" , I had to do that with mine and it went in very easy. I used the bolts as well, and have on all my fbodys.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
did you pull the speaker out and just reach through there? it took me about 25 minutes a side doing it that way
Yeah i went through the speaker hole. everything was easy just struggled with the bolts reaching through the door and motor metal and still threading in the nut.

And i agree, the bolts and nuts were not confidence inspiring. they are tiny
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the little bolts, nuts with mine as well, but I put just a little thread locker on mine, of course not the forever locker.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I used the little bolts, nuts with mine as well, but I put just a little thread locker on mine, of course not the forever locker.
Did the same on mine,

If you use an awl to line up the top hole you can put the 2nd and 3rd in with ease.

When dealing with little nuts like these a trick that helps is
Take some tape and fill your socket with the sticky side out.
so that the nut is seated at the end of the socket.

I put the locktite on the screw and fed it in from the back with a stubby screwdriver
snugged up #2 & #3 then went back to #1 pulled the awl and installed

Then went back and tightened each of the 3 up.
greased the tracks ran the window a couple times greased again

Works great,
I have 5yrs and 50k miles on the drivers
that I replaced with a remanufactured motor and the included screws
also just did the passenger’s side two weekends ago.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took a small piece of the black caulk from the plastic vapor barrier on the door and inserted it into the small socket of the nutdriver I was using, to keep the small nut from falling out. I didn't have any problems lining up the holes but an awl would be an easy tool to use if you need to. I too inserted the screws from the backside, so I was looking at the nut treading onto the screw.

Last edited by 99monguse; 04-12-2011 at 02:53 PM.