Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Went Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Went Again

I have the 4L60E and after i got the custome tune done which included me removing 100% of the T.M it lasted about 2-3 months and then 3rd and 4th went out. This is the 2nd time now that my tranny has gone out and 4L60E parts and trannys are very expensive. My question is, is there any other tranny that will bolt up to the 2002 camaro?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking something is wrong with your set up for it to be eating the trans like that. I don't know if the shift kit was a good idea or not; some have told me it will do more damage than good. Are you going around manually shifting the trans; I have also been told to never do that. I think the 4l80e will work with some mods.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

First off please say you have a trans cooler. If not theres the first problem. And yes manually shifting 4ls will kill them pretty quick. But the main things that kill trannys are over heating and or loss of fluid. Depending on where you buy parts from and if your not scared to dive into working on the trans the clutch swap is fairly easy. If you want you could swap to a 4l80e set up there is a great write up on here with everything that you need and they will take abuse a lot more then the 4l60s just a thought but you have to change ur flex plate cross member wiring pig tail etc but all in all worth it in the long run
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

x2 First off please say you have a trans cooler...

I always manually shifted my 4l60e when racing without any problems.. My 4l60e had a shift kit and some other upgraded stuff. I decided to go with a 4l80e with a transbrake after I broke my output shaft into a million pieces... lol Sold my 4l60e to SSHawk on the boards, which he had it opened up and said besides the output shaft, all the internals looked brand new and that was after I had beat the **** out of it for about 10,000 miles.. Go with an 80e and call it a day man..
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how attached to having a 4th gear you are you could always do a TH400 also. Same thing as a 4L80E but only 3 speeds but a fraction of the cost of a 4L80E. When I was deciding I priced everything out and a nice built 4L80E plus the cost of all the new stuff to make it work will run you close to $5K. I did my TH400 for about $2500, for me the 4th gear was not that important, don't need 4 gears for drag racing anyway. Just giving you another option.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

And yes manually shifting 4ls will kill them pretty quick
Not necessarily manually upshifting. The only real problems with manual upshifting are that if you're not careful you will hit the redline and that sometimes it brings on the overrun clutch in manual 3rd which robs you of 3-4 apply pressure.

Manually DOWNSHIFTING is an entirely different story and I never do that. Bad for hard parts in the trans and puts a lot of strain on clutches. The 4L60E was never designed to be downshifted like that.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Im not a tuner or trans builder but I know with TM gone and line pressure high its a big risk.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replys...I don't run my gears up or down unless im racing it which isn't an everyday thing. I was told the car already had a trans cooler on it being a z28 so i never thought about putting one on. My friend has a shop and said that he'll build and install my current trans for $1,800 and it'll hold up to about 500hp but by what i just read from yall its the shifting thats killing it not power. So even if I build it up with servo, bands, T.C and trans cooler the shifting is still going to make it go out is that correct??
Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
Not necessarily manually upshifting. The only real problems with manual upshifting are that if you're not careful you will hit the redline and that sometimes it brings on the overrun clutch in manual 3rd which robs you of 3-4 apply pressure.

Manually DOWNSHIFTING is an entirely different story and I never do that. Bad for hard parts in the trans and puts a lot of strain on clutches. The 4L60E was never designed to be downshifted like that.
Good point. But im on the boat of the computer can shift better imo than manually doing it