Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about clutch

I am going to be changing my clutch soon!! I have been told that I need to buy a new flywheel when I buy my new clutch. Can I not just get my old flywheel resurfaced? What will happen if I just use my old flywheel.... please let me know before I go blow a lot of money on a new flywheel.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Depending on how many miles are on the car, and how badly the clutch wore on the flywheel, will determine if you can get away with just resurfacing it. Whenever you change a clutch, you must resurface the flywheel or replace it. When I decided to spend the cash to upgrade the clutch, it only made sense to put in a new flywheel that was matched to the clutch by the manufacturer. In my case Spec Clutches. This way I knew what I had and didn't have to worry if the flywheel had any lingering issues waiting to rear its ugly head at the worst time. Such as at the track. The billet flywheels are made to handle the abuse and some are SFI rated. Also, the lighter weight flywheels you can install will actually help the engine rev faster due to the reduced mass. Spring for the extra money and piece of mind.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

you dont have to get a new flywheel. i just did my clutch not to long ago an it has 120K miles on it. if u do get the stock one turned then u may have to get clutch shims so ur clutch will work properly. but in the long run you may as well get a new flywheel cause fing the right shim can become a pain in the ***. trust. i went through it.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on your budget for this project, you may want to look into a Clutch Kit. Many include a new Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Throwout Bearing, and Slave Cylinder. Pretty much everything you'll need to do your clutch swap correctly.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to LS, but why couldnt you get the flywheel re-surfaced? Done all the time with traditonal SBC. For the guy who said you need shims? What for? the .010 taken off is nothing to worry about IMHO.

Is there a minimum thickness for the flywheel? Also it looks like its made of steel as well?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

what's your budget? i got my Monster Stage 2 clutch rated at 550hp from Colorado Speed for under $600 on a sale for the whole clutch package. you should try calling them and see if they have any discount deals
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I'm new to LS, but why couldnt you get the flywheel re-surfaced?
You can & should have it resurfaced if youre gonna reuse it. Depends on what clutch you decide to buy. An LS7 clutch is a popular upgrade & requires an LS2 flywheel, which is a lil different. With a stock clutch & stock power level the stock flywheel will work fine. I highly recommend replacing the slave cyl while you got it apart.

Done all the time with traditonal SBC. For the guy who said you need shims? What for? the .010 taken off is nothing to worry about IMHO.

Is there a minimum thickness for the flywheel? Also it looks like its made of steel as well?
If .030 is removed you need a shim.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 04-17-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on the clutch i have did some ls1 stock replacement clutches and took .060 off the flywheel and not used a shim can you get by with it eveytime no but sometimes you luck out
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

The remote bleeder is a must have, it should only run you about $40 or less, i forgot the price.