LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

question on tranny and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on tranny and warranty

is the trans under the 100 thousand mile powertrain warranty? im at 87,000 and my trans is starting to shift a little sloppy from 1st to second. i never changed the fluid or anything this is my first one. however other day noticed 5 bolts from the pan were missing.. my god. and would something like a wrapped crossover void my warranty?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
is the trans under the 100 thousand mile powertrain warranty? im at 87,000 and my trans is starting to shift a little sloppy from 1st to second. i never changed the fluid or anything this is my first one. however other day noticed 5 bolts from the pan were missing.. my god. and would something like a wrapped crossover void my warranty?
Yes, it's covered, assuming the car's original in-service date (original purchase) is less than 5 years ago.

Please define "sloppy".

A wrapped crossover *SHOULDN'T* void the warranty, and legally can't, however, the dealer can be a dick about it and make it an issue.

Ultimately, if they tried to claim that, you would prevail in court, but that's a big hassle.

Hopefully, you'll be okay.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it seems like it will come out of 1st gear and take a while to go to second. like the transfer its delayed
Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bought the car used in 08, its an 07... so i could be pushing it?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

it seems like it will come out of 1st gear and take a while to go to second. like the transfer its delayed
When you take it in, have them send the trans tech on a test drive with you and see what he says when it does it.

bought the car used in 08, its an 07... so i could be pushing it?
Considering the 07's probably went on sale around August of '06, you're most likely okay AT LEAST until August this year, and most likely later.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thanks
it only does every now and then.. will they always drive it? i rather them just open the trans hope they see metal in fluid and just give me a new one
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

alright thanks
it only does every now and then.. will they always drive it? i rather them just open the trans hope they see metal in fluid and just give me a new one
For a drivetrain issue, they'll drive it. Thing is, they won't just drop the pan under warranty because you're claiming there's a problem. They will drive it, and if it displays odd behavior (and assuming they're not incompetent), then they'll the drop the pan. If it doesn't display the behavior (or if they try to claim the odd is behavior is somehow "normal"), then the only way they'll drop the pan is if you pay for a trans fluid change. What happens next really depends upon what they find.

Some dealers are better than others on this stuff. Me dealer gave me no trouble for both my failures. They drove the car, saw the problem, and rebuilt, then later replaced my trans. Other people on this board have experienced more difficulty, mainly, in getting the dealer to acknowledge an obvious problem.

As they say, your mileage may vary...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Teching In

hopefully you'll have better luck than me.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Launching!

I had mine in for a periodic slow 2-3 shift and a shudder on the 1-2 and they could not recreate the issue multiple times and never dropped the pan or even put it on the rack. Now, after my TCM tune, I have none of that.