Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan tool ?

So i finished a head swap after having one of my stock heads crack and the check engine light is on. I went by autozone to have it scanned and they told me they couldnt get the scan tool to recognize my car. I have a 99 T/A WS6, and i have no idea what could cause this. Any suggestions on what to check that could be the culprit?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the fuse box inside the car by your door there is a fuse for the ecm check that fuse it sends power to the OBD port, no power no communication.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, check the fuses! I think it's the same fuse as the cigarette lighter, if I'm not mistaken!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, i will check that fuse after work. That would make sense if its the same as the lighter cause my g/f lets my daughter play in the car sometimes and she stuck stuff in the lighter socket and had sparks coming out of it so i could see it blowing that fuse.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car once to an Autozone and the guy couldn't get the scanner to work, he kept telling me something was seriously wrong with my car cause his scanner wouldn't read anything, I took it to another shop down the road and their scanner read it fine.

Try a different scanner.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike171562
I took my car once to an Autozone and the guy couldn't get the scanner to work, he kept telling me something was seriously wrong with my car cause his scanner wouldn't read anything, I took it to another shop down the road and their scanner read it fine.

Try a different scanner.

Yes, because no codes=danger to teh manifold.

I love autozone
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a code for a lazy o2, their crappy scanner was either broken or he didn't know how to use it
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mike171562
I had a code for a lazy o2, their crappy scanner was either broken or he didn't know how to use it
probably a little of both. the scan tool they use(at least here) is crap. its a little 50 dollar scanner. also remember most people that work at autozone are kids and or people that dont have a lot of automotive knowledge. autozone was one of my first jobs when i was 17. i seen people get hire there that have never even popped the hood on a car.