Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No clutch in Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No clutch in Chevelle

Hey guys just got my swap runnin in my 71 Chevelle, its a lq4/t56. Most everything seems ok, still some small bugs to work out. The biggest of which is I have absolutely no clutch. I am runnin f-body pedals with a RAM adjustable master and a spec 3 clutch. The slave is the one that came with the trans (it didn't look that old) so I don't know the pedigree on it.
I know that I am getting a full stroke on the master, I adjusted it out til I bottomed out the master and then backed it off to where it hit the stop on the pedals so that I don't blow out the master. It seems to be bled pretty good I'm not getting any air out of the slave.

So here is the problems 1: I have absolutely no clutch disengagement 2: there is no "feel" at the pedal

I am leaning toward the slave but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kurt.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either the master or slave is no good or there is still air in the system. I am thinking the latter. The only way I have found to get all of the air out of the system is crack the bleeder and then have someone slowly depress the clutch pedal closing the bleeder before the end of the stroke. Takes some time but it's fool proof.

Vacuum bleeders WILL NOT WORK!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks I'll try that today.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Either the master or slave is no good or there is still air in the system. I am thinking the latter. The only way I have found to get all of the air out of the system is crack the bleeder and then have someone slowly depress the clutch pedal closing the bleeder before the end of the stroke. Takes some time but it's fool proof.
Agreed, bleeding the clutch in these setups takes a bit of dedication and really should involve an experienced friend - or one that listens and follows commands explicitly. If you don't get the clutch bled properly you WILL have all sorts of problems. If you don't believe me, look for the "pedal sticking to the floor at WOT" (or 4000 and up) threads in the transmission section. I bleed the clutch and replace the fluid on a regular basis and never have problems - all on stock hydraulics. I have some Corvette guys that got me in the habit and they never have problems either.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I got it thanks guys. Apparently I was being a *****. Not wanting to mess anything up what I thought was the end of the master travel was apparently just the beginning. Surprisingly I did have all the air out though. I have a pretty unique blender system in the old girl.

Quick Reply: No clutch in Chevelle