Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How bad are eagls RS-A's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How bad are eagls RS-A's?

I have an 05, with stock size f1 supercars. I am wondering if anyone has the non runflat rs-a's? Looking for a decent wearing tire for my daily commute. I have f1 supercars on there now, but want something that will last a little longer for the daily driver. I plan on snow tires for the winter and another set of wheels for track days. Let me know your experience.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't plan on going runflat, there are a hundred better tires.

I had stock RS-As, runflats. They wear well, but are pretty average other than that. And they cost a lot.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are terrible...... Part of the reason why I crashed my V. Get rid of them
Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The F1's have been wearing pretty good for me so far...They were pretty new when I bought the car and the fronts especially still look real good after me driving 15k on them. I finally got around to rotating them, so am thinking they should last at least another 10-15k. They have a treadwear rating of 300, which is respectable for the performance part of them (haven't had any complaints, with spirited driving, but I don't drive it on the track either)

However, when it comes time to buy new ones, I'm going with 'regular' tires and picking up a spare...Hate to have the extra weight, but also not going to spend $1500 on these tires, lol. Even though they are 'run flat', makes me nervous on long drives when I drive in remote areas and no spare.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay away from them, theyre overpriced and dont come close to being worth what they cost. I have a couple in my garage for emergency reasons, other wise id theyd never be on my car.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Kuhmo ecsta asx here. Ride good, seem to wear well, corner well, plus $150 each is way better than goodyear prices. Them seem to make axle hop less too but thats just me.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

If you want better wear characteristics, a less-than-max-performance-summer tire is probably more along the lines of what you'll want to look for. Something like an RE760, as an example.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the non runflat RS-A on mine before, and they suck compared to my new ones (Firestone Firehawks). The Firestones have better grip, road manners, and cost about 1/2 as much.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Launching!

I ditched my stock RunFlats for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

They don't handle as good, but do dig in a straight line. They are much quieter and ride smoother than RunFlats, and so far seem to be wearing well.

I also got myself a spare tire/wheel/jack - just in case.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

JUNK JUNK JUNK....Oh yeah OVERPRICED JUNK
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by joejbal
I have an 05, with stock size f1 supercars. I am wondering if anyone has the non runflat rs-a's?
I think a few responders missed the NON run-flat part.

Originally Posted by joejbal
Looking for a decent wearing tire for my daily commute. I have f1 supercars on there now, but want something that will last a little longer for the daily driver.
Since you're planning to buy dedicated snow tires, then there's no reason to buy an all-season like the RS-A. If I were you, I'd do as kevm14 said - get some sort of ultra high performance summer tire, which will still offer great wet and dry performance and will last significantly longer than the F1 Supercars. The Hankook V12 Evos are available from discounttiredirect.com for $159 each (shipped), plus there's a $60 rebate right now, so that's a helluva deal (Tire Rack has them for $149 + shipping, so that might be a better deal depending on where you live). I've never used the V12 Evos myself, but they've gotten great reviews.

Originally Posted by aurora40
If you don't plan on going runflat, there are a hundred better tires.
Agreed. The RS-A is an outdated tire. The V-rated RS-As are hardly "overpriced" - they're at the lower end of the price range - but there are lots of newer, better tires to choose from.

Quick Reply: How bad are eagls RS-A's?