LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dumb Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Rattle

hey guys the last couple of weeks this real annoying rattle sound coming from the rear of my GXP. It used to happen only when I applied the the brakes semi-hard, but nows it just rattling randomly all the time. I thought it was something stupid like something in my trunk or something fell into the empty spare tire area, but no such luck. Any idea what to scope out next?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine will do this from time to time but i never figured it out
Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Did you check out your calipers? When I had an Alero I had a random rattling in the rear. I checked everything that I could think of and there was nothing obvious. Brakes felt great but when I had it up in the air, one of my calipers was pretty much floppin around and not functioning...even though my brakes felt fine.

It's probably not causing your rattle but just make sure to check EVERYTHING because it might be something you would never think about.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Teching In

sway bar links?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
Did you check out your calipers? When I had an Alero I had a random rattling in the rear. I checked everything that I could think of and there was nothing obvious. Brakes felt great but when I had it up in the air, one of my calipers was pretty much floppin around and not functioning...even though my brakes felt fine.

It's probably not causing your rattle but just make sure to check EVERYTHING because it might be something you would never think about.
Ya I was going to venture toward the breaks next, I was hopeing it wasn't that. I had the same experience with my old beater, caplier became locked in position and wouldn't release. Ill check it out and update tommrow
Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Check the top of your mufflers. My car has seemed louder the last few months but I thought nothing of it until an annoying *** rattle started to occur only at certain engine rpm frequencies. I assumed a loose heat shield or broken baffle in the muffler. FINALLY decided to investigate while I did my oil change, fluid check, leak check, etc. Looked at all exhaust piping, looked fine. Felt the top of drivers side muffler....ravaged by salt. A couple holes and the worst part was the seam had separated and it would make a god awful sound.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by D J Real
Ya I was going to venture toward the breaks next, I was hopeing it wasn't that. I had the same experience with my old beater, caplier became locked in position and wouldn't release. Ill check it out and update tommrow
Visually inspected the breaks today and everything seems to be in order, also did not see any "weird" wear pattens on the rotors. Also checked the top of the muflers and did not see/feel anything wrong there either. Godamit I really don't want to pay a shop to figure this out if its something stupid, but it looks liek I'm running out of ideas
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
Check the top of your mufflers. My car has seemed louder the last few months but I thought nothing of it until an annoying *** rattle started to occur only at certain engine rpm frequencies. I assumed a loose heat shield or broken baffle in the muffler. FINALLY decided to investigate while I did my oil change, fluid check, leak check, etc. Looked at all exhaust piping, looked fine. Felt the top of drivers side muffler....ravaged by salt. A couple holes and the worst part was the seam had separated and it would make a god awful sound.
same thing happen to me....if you have a gm certified warrenty they will replace your whole exhaust system
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I do not, lol. I have 140k miles. The car actually sounds good as it is, but the rattle was so embarrassing. I 'fixed' it for now. Now today my brakes started squeaking when I touch them (need pads). Ugh, fix one embarrassing noise and another starts!! Hello BrakeMotive!!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I also vote for sway bar links. I had this problem in my 2001 Monte. Easy to find out. Get under rear of car and grab the sway bar links. They should be very tough to move. If they wiggle or move easily or click, then they need replacing. Moog makes good ones with grease fittings.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

My wife's 2003 Pontiac Vibe has a similar rattle as well. It sounds like it's coming from the rear and like a metal-on-metal sound.. almost like something's dragging. A quick visual inspection hasn't revealed what the problem is, nor has trips to two different local mechanics (who assure me that whatever it is, it's fine..) The sound--which is unnerving and annoying as all hell--is usually more audible when she brakes hard.

I've been meaning to put it up on jack stands and take a look back there but with the winter and now all of this rain / thunderstorms, I just haven't gotten to it.

My guess for my situation--which may be completely unrelated to anything anybody else is experiencing--is something loose in her driver's side brake drum.

Wes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a random round plastic circle ( 4inch across maybe) inside my headliner, it was super annoying. once i finally lifted the headliner i found it and took it out.... god knows what it is and what it is from

Quick Reply: Dumb Rattle