Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Tuned, input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Never Tuned, input appreciated

Here is my situation. My friend has HP Tuners but he is primarily a Mustang guy so we are going to snag one of the tunes from the bin repository to get started and see what is changed and from there I am sure we can figure out how to "play" with it. He has a license for the tuner so no worry there. I was wondering since you guys do this a lot and have probably looked at each other’s tunes to get ideas if you could direct me to a tune in the repository to get the closest to the tune I would need. In other words the tune that would require the least amount of "playing" to make it perfect. As I get more and more done to the car I am sure I can figure out how to compensate with the tuner on my own, just looking for a great baseline tune to start me off with..

Car: 2002 Trans Am A4 3:42
MTI lid, K&N air filter, ORY, Borla catback using the larger plate they have but not completely open, other stuff I’m sure doesn’t matter but NGK plugs and MSD 8.5 wires.

I always run 93 octane, always!! and if it weren’t for the ORY I wouldn’t bother with a tune yet but the car smells RICH!! I figure it’s because of stock tune with no cats but maybe I am wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

To be honest, with as little mods as you have i would just leave it alone unless you just want to learn to tune. The smell is just the way any car without cats smells, but yes they are a tad rich from the factory and the mods you added may have made it a tad more rich, but nothing to worry about. Add headers and a cam then worry about tuning IMO.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all, you can't really tune out the smell of a catless exhaust. You can certainly lessen it by getting it as close to 14.7 as possible, but even then it will stick without cats.

Second, your mods are fairly light so the tune should not be involved. There are plenty of tuning how-to's and guides for tuning fueling and timing.

and the mods you added may have made it a tad more rich
Actually those mods would probably make it run leaner, especially headers so he should be close to ideal after the mods.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Could a tune help for the transmission though?? I have read alot about upping the line pressure for better shifts, raising the shift points, and upping the rpm limit.. Delete TQ managment? The 3:42's arent stock either so I am sure my speedo is off. The guy before me said it has a B&M shift kit but I'm not sure it does. The 1-2 shift is pretty solid but 2-3 doesnt feel nearly as firm so who knows. You guys know better than me but May 13th will be my first time at the track with this car and I want to put down a solid number and figured the tune would help a little anyway.. And since its free for me I figured what the heck

Last edited by 1BAD98TA; 04-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't recommend messing with transmission settings unless you know for sure what you are doing. Messing with line pressures can destroy a trans if you adjust it wrong. Deleting TM is not really a concern until you put in a high-stall converter in.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, I will just run it as is until I get the longtubes and cam.. thanks guys
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You won't get rid of the smell. Besides, as long as you are in closed loop the AFR is controlled by the PCM anyway.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
First of all, you can't really tune out the smell of a catless exhaust. You can certainly lessen it by getting it as close to 14.7 as possible, but even then it will stick without cats.

Second, your mods are fairly light so the tune should not be involved. There are plenty of tuning how-to's and guides for tuning fueling and timing.

Actually those mods would probably make it run leaner, especially headers so he should be close to ideal after the mods.
The reason it will run richer is due to the stock tune over compensating for the added air flow and putting in too much fuel. Im sure every car is different but thats most of the ones ive seen.