Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window Differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Differences

I think I have this in the right place.

I have a 2000, and a 1998 trans am. the windows are BOTH slow as hell. I also have a 2001 corvette and the windows are damn quick to raise and lower, as are my buddy's 2005 silverado SS.

What is the major difference in this, besides the obvious window weight. And is it possible to swap motors. add things like the autotrix window fix etc to the f-body and make it less... embarassing with the power windows?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

I did the *passenger* autotrix window mod to both passenger and driver side. The main difference between passenger window mod and driver window mod is the presence of the express down module. I did the non-ED module on the driver side because if I don't have the window side express down i'd have to hold that side down anyways - 1 side with and 1 side without makes no sense to me.

I'm not sure the f-body wiring is different than your y-body or truck, but the voltage at the window motor has been said on here to be about 9-10 volts before autotrix mod and 12-13 after the mod. On the passenger side I went from extremely slow to extremely fast with the same motor and regulator. On the driver side I went from somewhat slow to mediocre with the same motor and regulator.

I figure the driver side guides or something needs to be cleaned or the motor/regulator replaced, as those are the problem. The new electricals on the passenger side was the problem over there though, and the autotrix made a world of difference.

First clean and grease the guides for a probably free check. Then do the autotrix mod for a cheap, probable solution. Then replace the window motors/regulators if neither of the cheaper solutions work.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would avoid swapping motors if you can, it's a real PITA. I did the AutoTrix passenger side window fix and I was VERY impressed with the results.

Not sure about the differences between the F-body and Y-body window motors. However, there is a thread on here that explains in detail the mechanics of the window motor and why they constantly fail.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I would avoid swapping motors if you can, it's a real PITA. I did the AutoTrix passenger side window fix and I was VERY impressed with the results.

Not sure about the differences between the F-body and Y-body window motors. However, there is a thread on here that explains in detail the mechanics of the window motor and why they constantly fail.
Same here. I did the Autotrix v. replacing the window motor and all was fine. A lot of people who replace the motors end up replacing them again after a while.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
I think I have this in the right place.

I have a 2000, and a 1998 trans am. the windows are BOTH slow as hell. I also have a 2001 corvette and the windows are damn quick to raise and lower, as are my buddy's 2005 silverado SS.

What is the major difference in this, besides the obvious window weight. And is it possible to swap motors. add things like the autotrix window fix etc to the f-body and make it less... embarrassing with the power windows?

Thanks.
The difference is that the corvette motor is a new design and our original motor design is from the late 1960's. (If you are adventurous, you can check parts cross references and confirm.)

The Autotrix kit is not a "fix" but more of a band-aid for a window without an express up module. That kit gives more power to a crappy window motor, which makes it seem less crappy. IMO - its just like polishing a turd. (It looks nicer, but in the end - its still a turd.)

If you want to get away from the stock motors, there are two good options:
- Purchase a new Dorman motor. This motor contains 100% new parts and is a new and improved design over the OEM model. To date, we have yet to have someone on this forum (that I've seen) report one being bad in any way. IMO - This is the best thing to do.

- Purchase an aftermarket motor/regulator combo from Electric-Life. This is the route I went before the Dorman motor was released and it was a larger PITA to install and is many times more expensive.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is also very informative.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 208 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

autotrix FTW
Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
This thread will destroy the doors over time. There is a reason that the motors have a thermal cutoff switch and disabling it will stress out the door skin.