Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My new N/A project.... (Update! Dyno results and engine bay pic pg3)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new N/A project.... (Update! Dyno results and engine bay pic pg3)

I'm stepping down from a supercharged combination, and i pretty much know the way i want to go, in fact, i already order the cylinder heads, they are the ls3 med bore, from the good folks at MAST MOTORSPORTS, so while i wait on the heads i am getting the rest of the parts ready for them, the one thing i need the must now is, to get the pistons and to sell the previews combo cylinder heads, they are Dart pro 1, 225 ls1, i converted to 6 bolts per cldr, massaged and flowing well in to the 300 hundreds they have 56cc combustion chambers, so they will bump compression by about 3/4 point or so. Here is a run down of the rest of the story, have a fully build 408Ci lq9 block wish stood the rigors of over 1100 crank torque and over 1000hp; the pistons will have to go,so out will come the 9.4 to one Wiseco, i will step up to 13.0 to one, and possibly to 13.5 to 1, to be used with E85, readily available in my area, rite now I'm waiting for MAST performance folks to get together with my piston manufacturer AUTO/TEC pistons in Huntington beach CA for the combustion chamber scan, do to the 12 degree valve angle a-la ls7 build into these heads, just to be sure there is no p t v interference, for now i am going to be using the ls3 intake manifold as recommended by Chris Turret, tech from Mast and the ported by yours truly, drive by wire throttle body, my headers are Cooks 17/8 primaries in to dual 3" magnaflow mufflers exhaust combo, where i like to get some input from some of the well knowledge vendors, tuners, and engine builders out there, is the cam, keeping in mind i want to make top power wile using the car mainly on the streets and some occasional track, ac and power brakes, are in, i like to brake in to the 6 hundred tire hp or more if possible with tork at about no less than 550 to the tires, my transmission is an l465e build by RPM in Indiana tork converter is a Vigilante 2600 stull with the old combo was flashing in at 3500 rpms on the dino, i figure is possibly stepping down to flash in at 32 or 3300 hundred rpms range. I don't mind turning 7k rpm if you think the throttle body and intake combo will cooperate, my car is a 06 gto and another goal is to brake in to the 10 secs. I like to hear, only from the above mentioned with positive answers, all others please respect my thread with my full appreciation, if you prefer to pm me is fine, comments are welcome too, i will keep you posted as i progress, thanks to all, David.

Heres a pic of the car...

Last edited by CAMSTER; 09-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Sounds Like A Killer Combo.....camster and I built up my 06 6.0L GTO with L92 Heads and an LS3 intake ported by both of us, plus all accompanying aftermarket bolt ons, money was not spared with all the parts that went in to my engine... and my Goat is making over 500HP N/A to the wheels on e85 Moonshine, my dyno numbers were all screwed up because I was having no traction at the dyno, the wheels just kept spinning we had to lower the tire pressure at the dyno three times, and re strapped the car down a few times before we called it quits, we only were able to get one good run that netted us 528whp 494wtq.

I ended up getting the car tuned on the street by his son David who is an excellent tuner, we spent over three hours making WOT settings, part throttle settings, shift points, etc.etc.etc.....the car is running so strong that dyno numbers don't mean jack to me any more, it's at the track where it will all come together and I'll finally know what she really has.

I'm just waiting on Camster to get his parts and get things rolling so we could take the cars to the track, he has a nice set of CCW Drag Pack with Mickey Thompson's front and rear that's just waiting for some punishment.

just about Every part on his build is purchased, except the Cam, we can't come to an agreement as to what cam is going to give him street ability and max power.

If anyone that has done this similar build can you please chime in.... it will be greatly appreciated, same goes for any Cam Vendors here on LS1TECH, Camster needs your advise, he is ready to buy the right cam for his build like right now....

PS: Remember it's a 408CI LQ9 six bolt set up.

Regards,
crakhead

Last edited by crakhead; 05-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

N/A, ftw!!! Sounds like a nice combo....good luck with the build!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What made you decide to ixnay the supercharger and go n/a? Do you have a build thread on the supercharger build?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default going N-A....

There are threads about the end where we went to the dino and all the funn stuff, but the build is prety much the same exept for the compression ratio, cam and heads,

The motivation for n-a is the pep power off-boost, of a-n car, I kind a missed that, on the other side, really, i had too much power on-boost to be usable on the streets, 900rwtq 841whp, so i figure the must amount of usable power is about as much as can be had with a good high compression, on e85 build, and will keep the car light and simple, even stock looking, another plus is shoosing the amount of power you desire, thats just not possible wile driving around in your super charged car, you got to change the pulleys, problem is, you never want to bring the power down. to check previews threads, go
to ls1gto, my user name there is xboostx....

A big reason too, is the tooling we enjoy today, just go check the flow figures on the Mast med bore ls3 heads, I'm thinking 600 rwhp is not off hand, and hopefuly mit 10 seconds quoter mile in street trim, Any thoghths about this, any one out there?. To this day cam selection remains my big question...looking for answers....
Old 05-07-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Made some changes...

Some have asked me privately to control my expectations, so out of respect, and not wanting to spend the money, and fall short, as a prudent-man, i changed the block, so former, is going to be out for sale, next week, and bought an lsx 6 bolt fat boy, with 4.185 bore to use with my 4" crank, to make a 440Ci and changed, to the Mast large bore ls3 6 bolts heads, and the T&D rockers to the required, ls7 type, thanks to the professionals at Mast, and what an example of sportsmanship, certainly class-acts, my hat is off to them, i mean a 3 weeks old order completely changed, just like that, OK?..... thanks guys...

Some said with a 102mm combo I'll get close to the 600 whp, I'm shooting for, I sought, what if i take that cash instead and throw it after an extra 37Ci, perhaps a better return for the cash, now i really need to sell some stuff...Yeah, Happy mothers day to you too.

Yo crak head, where you at did you check the flow?

Now you bird flyer's, cam captains, goat jockeys and the rest of you cheese graders out there, get inhere and do some bench speed racing would ya...
Old 05-07-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just curious why with the larger bore you didn't change to MAST LS7 heads? The flow is a little higher, better chance to get to your 600 goal.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ls7 heads

Honestly i didn't look in to that option mainly because i already have an ls3 intake manifold, i guess, after checking them out, have 4cc more in the int runners and flow 5 cfm more at 700" lift, I'm pretty sure if i search more I'm going in to larger costs, like the intake manifold, must likely the heads and the rockers etc, but it is a valid observation, making valid the cliche, 4 eyes see more than 2....Thanks for the pitch tho...
Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Capo is rite...

Checked out ls7 heads and the price is identical, with the sought of better intake flow, we may be into something here, can any body think of another advantage, going the ls7 way? I just wonder if i can still pull out another change, with the Mast folks, Are you still with me Chris?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default jet another change....

Thanks Chris, I have to. yet again, will you believe, changed the heads combo for me, this time is thanks ROBO, I'm static and humbled, at the thought I'm going to end up with a lsx/ls7 440Ci N-A goat?. Now i have to sell the ls3 intake manifold i had ready for the former project.

I need the pistons, for 4.185 bore to produce 13. or more compression, still for e85, I'm eye bolling for cam, in the mean time, Mast seem to have a killer, and so does Vengeance, i still want to run the numbers true the software and see where the chips mite fall with that....I do welcome comments and knowledge contributions
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Since the beginning of this project I told you to go BIG CUBES, but you wanted to stay at 408 with MAST med bore LS3 heads, so I started looking for a cam for that project. now here comes the Violins we are at it again...LSX-LS7 440ci.....i love the combo...I hope tomorrow when you wake up you don't change your mind again...lol

I'LL Bark at ya later Dawg.

crakhead
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default hAVE FUNN ...

Will enjoy the idle music at the traffic light later, that's got-a-rock crak, in the mean time Mast motorsports is carving us out some art pieces, for the history books, gotta love it........now sell my lq9 will you?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cubes is where it's at...good luck with it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default you r rite about the cubes...

Hello, S7 how are you,i love to be able to use the Harrop i t b intake,however I have drive by wire 06 GTO throttle body, and i doubt i can use that other system, is there a way to use it with out changing the computer?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
Hello, S7 how are you,i love to be able to use the Harrop i t b intake,however I have drive by wire 06 GTO throttle body, and i doubt i can use that other system, is there a way to use it with out changing the computer?
The Harrop itb is available drive by wire. You wouldn't have to change your computer, only add a piggy back harness to hook up a ls1 tb motor.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Camster, which MAST LS7 head are you looking at, they sell a couple of different sizes. LS7 or FAST intake? Will be watching to see what your results are with E85 and how close you get to 600 rwhp through your auto trans. Sounds like a great build!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

S7 just when i thought it just can't get any better, you say i can use the Harrop i t i with the drive by wire? ooh God, here we go, please get me the email or preffer the phone number to that contact, cause the minute i know, I'm on it... Thanks for sharing that contact info...

Last edited by CAMSTER; 07-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey COPO, how are you, the heads are; part# 510-307 they are the large bore 276cc intakes flowing 395 cfm intake and 249 at the ext, at .700 lift, them, they have the MOSES, and else the splayed valves, the lader are not available yet, as i understand, then, there is else a 305cc intake wish i think won't be that good on the street, let me in on your input on this, thank you.

Last edited by CAMSTER; 12-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

What intake are you going to run? You mentioned the LS3 in some above posts. That intake won't get it done. It will never support a 440 cid engine. I would look into the Mast 2 piece cast intake.

It should be a fun ride when finished.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 05-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might look into doing a plate style T-body. Then use a carb style air cleaner with a nascar style cowl induction set up. I'm thinking it would be the best system if you could make it fit.

Quick Reply: My new N/A project.... (Update! Dyno results and engine bay pic pg3)