Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How bad is the rear end issue really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How bad is the rear end issue really?

Is the issue as bad as it seems like online or is it from people ragging on their cars? My camaro will be paid off soon and looking for a sedan. It's come down to G8 GT vs 06-07 CTS-v and used prices are very similar now. I really like G8s but the dang auto is killing me for some reason, I really love black CTS-v's but all I hear is how bad the rear is so I cant really make up my mind.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Is the issue as bad as it seems like online or is it from people ragging on their cars? My camaro will be paid off soon and looking for a sedan. It's come down to G8 GT vs 06-07 CTS-v and used prices are very similar now. I really like G8s but the dang auto is killing me for some reason, I really love black CTS-v's but all I hear is how bad the rear is so I cant really make up my mind.
There have been ZERO cases on either forum of a 06-07 V blowing its rear end. That was a problem that the 04-05 Vs suffered from. Granted the rear does suck, but thus far all cases of the exploding rear ends have been on 04-05 cars. There have been 04-05 Vs that have the newer rears and blowing them, but not on a 06-07 V.

You are more likely to break a CV if anything.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Launching!

The 06/07s have larger axles too but all rears in these cars can be noisy over time (whine). They all wheel hop BAD too but that can be fixed for the most part with aftermarket axles. I'm on the 3rd diff in my car (it's the latest version) and have about 14k miles on it. Still whisper quiet and holding up fine but I don't wheel hop it. The first two diffs were replaced because of loud whine, not failure.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm on the original diff and have over 400rwhp. Its as quiet as the day I drove her off the lot.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

The diff problem is as bad as you want it to be. If you beat the **** out of the car, launch hard all the time, drop the clutch and generally just drive like an *******, then yes, you will probably have problems.

If you get some aftermarket axles, learn to launch moderately, rev-match downshifts in normal driving, and generally drive the car like the GM engineers designed it to be driven, then you most likely won't have issues.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

I have the latest diff, and I beat the crap out of it. No issues at all. And it takes 588 rwtq and laughs at it..But I have 06-07 axles as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I would say that it is bad enough, or rather it is reported to be bad enough, that it enters my thoughts when starting from a stop. But clearly lots of people never have a problem. It's not like all 04-05s will crack their diff, even though some folks have.

I also have noticed that this is a more universal problem. I hear it about caddies all the time, but C6's apparently crack their diffs open too (especially '05s). And wheelhop is common on a lot of cars, it seems.

A friend of mine and I used to both have C4 vettes (LT4 and LT5s). You could hammer the **** out of those cars, no wheelhop, no exploded diff, just tire smoke and fun. He traded his LT4 up to a C6, I in a roundabout way traded mine for the V. I was aware I'd have to launch the car easier, etc, than I did in the ZR-1. We weren't aware he'd have to do the same thing. But his car wheelhopped a lot at the dragstrip last weekend, and reading it sounds like wheelhop can destroy the C6 diff (even the later ones) just like on our cars.

So to some degree I think the V has a worse rap for it than perhaps it should. Or perhaps other cars should have more of a bad rap than they are given.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aurora40
I guess I would say that it is bad enough, or rather it is reported to be bad enough, that it enters my thoughts when starting from a stop. But clearly lots of people never have a problem. It's not like all 04-05s will crack their diff, even though some folks have.

I also have noticed that this is a more universal problem. I hear it about caddies all the time, but C6's apparently crack their diffs open too (especially '05s). And wheelhop is common on a lot of cars, it seems.

A friend of mine and I used to both have C4 vettes (LT4 and LT5s). You could hammer the **** out of those cars, no wheelhop, no exploded diff, just tire smoke and fun. He traded his LT4 up to a C6, I in a roundabout way traded mine for the V. I was aware I'd have to launch the car easier, etc, than I did in the ZR-1. We weren't aware he'd have to do the same thing. But his car wheelhopped a lot at the dragstrip last weekend, and reading it sounds like wheelhop can destroy the C6 diff (even the later ones) just like on our cars.

So to some degree I think the V has a worse rap for it than perhaps it should. Or perhaps other cars should have more of a bad rap than they are given.
Good post. I totally agree with this!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Good post. I totally agree with this!
Me too.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

I have personally seen TWO C6s grenade their diffs at the line at the dragstrip. Both were 6 speeds. They just don't build them like they use to. Lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

True. But we're also seeing cars with more power lower in the RPM range than before. The diffs that were unbreakable traditionally came in cars where weight savings and curved line performance were an afterthought at best.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

You're contemplating between a Cadillac and a Pontiac?

Just saying...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

I put a LOT of track passes on the stock rear when the car was stock. I think the difference is I make a point to slip the clutch through most of first gear so the car never wheelhops for me at the track. 60' suffers a little (2.1 usually) but I get to drive it home.

I had the latest GM rear put in last year and the next week I snapped an axle on the street..haha, but the rear has held up perfect. I was at the track this weekend and put six more passes on the car(nothing to write home about..air was terrible). I 100% believe it only grenades when people abuse it and drive through wheelhop. If it hops, I get out of the gas and have done just fine with it.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Well you have good taste is all I can say
Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad I did a search and found this thread. Most threads about rears are bad. This helped me feel better about buying one.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I 100% believe it only grenades when people abuse it and drive through wheelhop. If it hops, I get out of the gas and have done just fine with it.
X2!

Wheelhop will (eventully) break parts on any car. Period.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

So the receipe for a stout rear is:
06-07 third member
G-Force dual axle kit
BMR pinion support brace
BMR Anti wheel hop kit

Anything to add?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Do the BMR toe Rods help wheel hop? I dont understand their purpose?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
So the receipe for a stout rear is:
06-07 third member
G-Force dual axle kit
BMR pinion support brace
BMR Anti wheel hop kit

Anything to add?
The BMR stuff does nothing to prevent failures, and in some cases has been know to actually cause them by introducing more force to the already weak front diff mount point.

If you get the axles, you are as good as you are going to get on the street with an IRS car.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Do the BMR toe Rods help wheel hop? I dont understand their purpose?
I actually have a set setting in my garage that I need to install. They won't help at all with wheelhop, but will keep the rear wheels from moving laterally under acceleration. They are supposed to make the car feel more planted during hard acceleration.

Quick Reply: How bad is the rear end issue really?