New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going To Look At A 99 SS. What issues should i look for ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going To Look At A 99 SS. What issues should i look for ?

First i gotta say "Hey" to everyone.

I've been lurking in the "Classifieds" section for awhile now trying to find a WS6 LS1...No luck so far....So i find 1999 SS nearby for $6500....I'm going tomorrow too see it...So the question is other than the logical things to check on the car like oil pressure, leaks, knocks, clutch, rear end noise, damage, handling, and the like, are their any hidden agenda's that this model is known for ?

The car has high mileage 110,000

Should i tred cautiously or run like hell ?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

I would check to make sure the cats, EGR, and air pump are still on the car. A lot of people take them off b/c they think it adds a lot of power, but that is something I would look for just so you know what your getting into as far as getting the car inspected and knowing the cars been modified a little at some point
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

110K is not even broken in for these motors as long as it was well maintained and not abused.

Who are you buying it from? Dealer or private seller? Young punk who probably beat the car to hell or from an old grandpa who never took it past 3K RPM's?

I've used this rule of thumb for the cars I have bought: Really try to get a feel for the person you are buying it from. Generally if you can read the character of a person it will tell you more than just trying to find something wrong with the car. If a person wants to hide a problem, chances are they can unless it is very obvious issue like an engine knock.

That being said, just try to take the car on a long drive, test out the clutch to make sure it's not slipping. After your long drive look under it to make sure nothing is leaking. I think you pretty much have it down pat with what you listed. ALSO, DON'T BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY IF SOMETHING DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT. Can't stress that enough. Good luck
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why I thought you said it was a stick shift. Is it an auto or stick?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Manual trans.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

if your in PA i would look for rust under the car. make sure it has been cleaned during and after winters. i agree with lt1pwr1 try and feel the guy out. make sure you do that long test drive as well, some problems with cars dont happen till warmed up or after a good drive. i am a dealer and buy from auctions alot, so i can tell ya, if they want to hide it they probably can. also remember that a lot of little problem can cause one hell of a big problem(like the check book kind)
Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Personally I wouldn't worry about the emissions stuff too much as long as the check engine light isnt on since they just check the ready codes. I always do some of the simple things like check the oil and make sure its been kept filled and changed regularly. That is a good sign of how well it was taken care of. Other than that I think you and the other replies have covered most of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 70 year old man had my SS before me lol, has 70k and feels BRAND NEW. What I look for is if the car is stock, if it's not, then the engine, exhaust, etc was played with, hopefully not by a young teenage cat, I would go with a personal mechanic if you have one, if not just open up your eyes and ears, you should know if it's legit.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

First check rust, leaks and the works, then focus on places like above the rear tires on the fender. When someone launches the car hard it tends to dent the rear quarter panels, not always but most of the time. look to see how clean the top of the axle tubes are, almost impossible to fully clean rode grime off so good indicater how much and where it was driven. Check to see if everything is there!!! The SS came with a power steering cooler line that is noticable by a 12 inch metal line in conjunction with the radiater hose. two lines from the power steering system should run underneath of the metal tube. Again like stated feel out the seller and if not original owner, what does current owner know and how many miles he put on it. what was used to maintanance the vehicle? If you can, check cylinder pressuer (kinda weird to ask but tells you how the motor feels, tired or strong). see if it has the wear on the mat or carpet where your foot goes while on the gas pedal. easy driver doesnt have a hole or rip, rough aggressive driver has rubbed a hole there, like me lol. any oil deposits on rear bumper. t-top or window vinyl for rips, tear, or drying. AC works lol. how quickly the power windows roll up! color of radiator fluid, orange or mushy brown and orange. does the car feel heavy while turning or light in the front. stock sized tires or aftermarket. I am sure more but use ur gut feeling cause there is always another one next week for sale. i took 3 months till i bought my 99 SS.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks to everyone that replied... Lots of great info, you guys sure know your F bods.

So i went to look at the car today armed with all your suggestions and i think i got a great car...First thing on the to do list is a skip shift elimanator, that 1 to 4 shift just bugs me.