Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Zoom clutch and parts store clutch the same

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zoom clutch and parts store clutch the same

So this may not be new to you guys but it was pretty new to me and kind of surprised me. I seen on summit that Zoom makes a replacement clutch for my LT1 T/A. Said it had more holding power than stock and is a factory replacement. Thought it was a pretty good deal at $255. Well I copied the part number and looked on advance autos website under the same part number and it come up as the same replacement clutch under a different name and for like 20 bucks cheaper. I work for Advance, start tomorrow actually, so I get a 20% discount so looks like Ive got a pretty good deal on a replacement clutch.

My question is: Why would zoom and the other company have the same exact clutch under the same part number?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Because Valeo was / is / whatever one of very few places to get the "pull" clutch pressure plate. It may have been their patented design. Many makers were buying and using their pressure plates, regardless of the disc. It's a design that does not have the ability to be changed to as wide a range of lbs-ft ratings as a push style p.p.

The original LT1 PP had fingers with ridges stamped into them. If you have the flat fingers, it's an LT4 style PP (anything nowadays.)

And a business can't in-house make everything. It's not profitable.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Looks like you learn something new every day. I had read something about Valeo being the only pp maker for lt1 clutches but I guess it didnt ring a bell. How could a company make a patented clutch part? Thats like gm not allowing any companies to make anything for their vehicles.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if the ZOOm # ends with "MU" it is just a replacement type organic disc clutch. Doubt it has any more "holding power" than any other auto part store "replacement" clutch.

Most likely has the China knock off "Valeo" PP...as most replacement brands do.

I would suspect Advance/Autozone, etc all carry a replacement = to the ZOOM MU model.

Competition Clutch makes a DF kit for $299 with good reviews. no direct experience.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by grunt1152
I work for Advance, start tomorrow actually, so I get a 20% discount so looks like Ive got a pretty good deal on a replacement clutch.
I urge you not to install that clutch in your car. I had mine fail after 5k very easy miles and an lt1 member had his fail the same week:

friction material shot off and lodged itself in the pressure plate so I couldn't disengage the clutch, not a fun feeling when you're getting off the highway on an uphill offramp
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Ouch, thanks for the heads up but I have to have this clutch. Im going to be getting it for around $175 and I really cant afford nothing else at the time. My car has been sitting for over a week and Ive got to get it back driving again. If it goes out soon I will probably regret it but oh well as long as it will move for now.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well i hope youre not paying for the install at least, and hopefully it doesnt fail on yoin the middle of winter like it did for me. A clutch swap on 2 inches of snow is not fun.

For the amount of work and labor costs if youre paying to have it done, chance of failure in a bad situation, chance of taking out the flywheel with it, number of leaky perfection slave threads, etc i would avoid it unless it is an absolute last resort and youre ready to replace it within a few months

It could have been a bad run, since the 3 failures i know of occured around the same time, but still not worth it to me. I was 2 miles from home so it was either $75 for a tow or drive it as-is, so i went ahead and drove it using the starter to get moving at lights and rev matching shifts, and ended up having to replace the starter a week later
Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I urge you not to install that clutch in your car. I had mine fail after 5k very easy miles and an lt1 member had his fail the same week:

friction material shot off and lodged itself in the pressure plate so I couldn't disengage the clutch, not a fun feeling when you're getting off the highway on an uphill offramp
Was that a Valeo pressure plate?

Flywheel surfaced?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

it was the advance auto "perfection" unit

I had a 30k mile GM flywheel resurfaced, everything torqued to spec in proper sequence, babied the car for the 5k miles that it was in since it was winter, and one day the clutch went to the floor and had no resistance. dropped the trans to find half of the friction material wedged in the pressure plate so bad that fingers couldn't move, so the clutch was stuck engaged

Last edited by therealcreeper; 05-11-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

umm im an advance team member... perfection is made by zoom.... and advance carries zoom parts..... umm the zoom company is based out of liberty, sc.... ive had my zoom clutch hp series clutch in my car for 40k miles and it finally started slipping... it held up pretty good on motor passes but on the gas it slipped... it had around 150 track passes on it... prob more...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

I went with perfection mostly because it was made by zoom so I figured it would be decent quality but that didn't quite work out, I should have known for the price. and despite being based out of sc their parts are made in china, or at least my disk was
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

prob hahah im not saying thats the best clutch ive ever had.....
Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98z-28redcamaro
umm im an advance team member... perfection is made by zoom.... and advance carries zoom parts..... umm the zoom company is based out of liberty, sc.... ive had my zoom clutch hp series clutch in my car for 40k miles and it finally started slipping... it held up pretty good on motor passes but on the gas it slipped... it had around 150 track passes on it... prob more...
Are you still running the Zoom Hp on your current setup?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

He is. It's sitting b/c it's slipping, but I don't believe he's removed it yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seem like it has held up pretty damn good considering his mods. I'm still debating between this clutch and the LS7.

Quick Reply: Zoom clutch and parts store clutch the same