LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cold Air Intake & Mufflers Questions?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake & Mufflers Questions?????

Now does a cold air intake really matter. I have a 2006 Black Impala SS, and has been looking @ cold air intake for awhile now. But before I make the purchase Im wanting to know if it really helps or adds performance rather than style. I see a lot of ppl on the forum that have them but I don't want to be a follower if it lead me to wasting money. Now also does mufflers do anything? I want to go with the flow masters, cause at the moment I can't afford a cat back exhaust . But I just need opinions so that I can get my car looking good like some of the ones I see on here and I need to get ready for this Michigan meet........
Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

they will add performance, but a small amount for the money you will spend. In order to gain the full benefit, I would suggest a full exhaust system (3" preferably) from the downpipe back. Also, look for a Hogan downpipe, you will benefit more with the mufflers and downpipe combo (look for a good tuner as well).
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

I finally have a few mods on my GXP and I am gonna miss the meet I wanted to go to that BAD but I will be moving out of state end of this month. Have fun and bring paper and a pen lol. Start your wish list
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

idk what to do guys
Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

It wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I have exactly what you’re looking to purchase on my '06 MCSS (Flowmaster Mufflers and a K&N CAI) and I can tell you that I'm happy with my investment. I plan to be at the MI meet so you can see/hear/feel the difference in person.

I must tell you though, a custom tune is a MUST no matter what CAI you choose; it sure did make a difference for me. We can discuss that at the meet and who you should see locally.

Tom

Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 05-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I have an 06 GXP with the flowmaster mufflers and the K&N cold air. The mufflers make ur car sound throatier and a hell of a lot louder. The k&n for me gives me a gain of about 15-20 hp. I will have my car tuned very soon and as the tuner is tellin me "with the tune my hp gains for the k&n will increase" so get the tune if u get these two mods
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by christopher.lazaris
I have an 06 GXP with the flowmaster mufflers and the K&N cold air. The mufflers make ur car sound throatier and a hell of a lot louder. The k&n for me gives me a gain of about 15-20 hp. I will have my car tuned very soon and as the tuner is tellin me "with the tune my hp gains for the k&n will increase" so get the tune if u get these two mods
15-20hp gain from a K&N??? Their website only claims a 12hp gain. I have a K&N too and didn't really notice that much of a gain.

OP- I'd say go with either the K&N or CAI and you'll be happy. I was plenty happy with how it changed the sound of the engine. Made it seem like there was actually a V8 in there!

I can't say anything about mufflers cause I'm "technically" still on my stock exhaust. I just added a DMH 2.5" cutout and left the stock muffs on my Impala. I love the sound(except when DOD kicks on) of the open cutout and when I don't want it loud I just close it.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by christopher.lazaris

then your tuner is full of it, you will see MAYBE 5 or 6 horse from a K@n 10 to 12 horse from a Cold Air Inductions box. I have dyno sheets to support my claims if interested. Also these gains will only been seen AFTER you are tuned. Any Cold Air Intake may actually hurt your performance before ECM tuning. As far as exhaust goes I vote for a hogan DP (get the cat-less if you never plan of selling your car back to a dealer) and either a custom 3 inch or magnaflow exhaust. With the Cold Air Inductions intake, a catted hogan DP, a magnaflow cat back and a tune I put down around 270 horse and 280 tq through the wheels. Again if you want to see the dyno sheets P/M me.

Last edited by D J Real; 05-16-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by D J Real

then your tuner is full of it, you will see MAYBE 5 or 6 horse from a K@n 10 to 12 horse from a Cold Air Inductions box. I have dyno sheets to support my claims if interested. Also these gains will only been seen AFTER you are tuned. Any Cold Air Intake may actually hurt your performance before ECM tuning. As far as exhaust goes I vote for a hogan DP (get the cat-less if you never plan of selling your car back to a dealer) and either a custom 3 inch or magnaflow exhaust. With the Cold Air Inductions intake, a catted hogan DP, a magnaflow cat back and a tune I put down around 270 horse and 280 tq through the wheels. Again if you want to see the dyno sheets P/M me.
You know after thinking about it a bit, Chris Laz's tuner may simply not know enough about our cars. He may have just based that 15-20hp increase off of what other LS engines see with them. Most claim around that with f-bodies and such.

I only remember this cause a friend of mine that has a G8GT bought a Varaam CAI and he told me it was a GUARANTEED 30hp and .3 off the 1/4 mile which is what the companies site states.

So he may just be misinformed.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM

I have the k&n full intake and get around 3-4 mpg better consistently, I have flowmaster 10 series on my car because when I had 40's it just didnt do it for me, bigger piping starting from after the cat and different tips, your car will feel much different at first when you do the exhaust...almost choked(at least with the 40's it did) but overall I think it is a good investment. As far as the sound.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TRrMYeKIo

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake & Mufflers Questions?????