General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Some sort of rattling is happening but I can't figure where it's coming from

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Some sort of rattling is happening but I can't figure where it's coming from

There is a rattling coming from my front end but I cannot seem to figure out what is making the noise. It only happens when I go over quick bumps, originally just started on the driver side but now the passenger side is doing the same thing. I have put my car up on a lift but cannot find any loose bolts or anything. Recently I have also noticed my steering is starting to go so I am thinkinit may be te tie rods.

Does anyone know how I can check them before I go buying/replacing them and it not be the problem?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front brake pads rattling over bumps possibly. Drive over the same bumps while applying brakes next time. If the noise is still there, this is not the source.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

there's a road here where you have to apply the brakes every once in a while while approaching/going over bumps and if I remember correctly the noise is still there. i'll double check again though

another reason I came to the conclusion of tie rods is because backing down my driveway I have to turn my steering wheel more than usual to even just slightly adjust my direction
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Did you replace the strut mounts when you did your shocks?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

no i don't think so...which part would that have been?(pic if you can)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

is this what you are talking about? if so no i didn't think it was necessary for them to be changed
Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

does anyone else have any ideas?
i'm hoping to get this fixed when i get paid this weekend
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a rattle sound in a mustang that I used to own. It would do the exact same thing as yours. I would hit a bump, and I could hear it. I found out that it was my brake caliper rattling around. Got a new one, and problem was solved.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KevinR
I had a rattle sound in a mustang that I used to own. It would do the exact same thing as yours. I would hit a bump, and I could hear it. I found out that it was my brake caliper rattling around. Got a new one, and problem was solved.
hm...when i took my wheels off to check everything i made sure all of the bolts were tight and i tried moving the caliper but it wouldn't budge.

It sounds like it's something rattling right up against the wheel well, i can feel it if i put my foot on the dead pedal when it's happening. Would the caliper make that kind of noise?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_Z28_G
hm...when i took my wheels off to check everything i made sure all of the bolts were tight and i tried moving the caliper but it wouldn't budge.

It sounds like it's something rattling right up against the wheel well, i can feel it if i put my foot on the dead pedal when it's happening. Would the caliper make that kind of noise?
I couldn't feel it at all in the pedal when I was having the problem. The only way i figured it out was when I kicked the front tire (had to kick it pretty hard), I could hear it rattle.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KevinR
I couldn't feel it at all in the pedal when I was having the problem. The only way i figured it out was when I kicked the front tire (had to kick it pretty hard), I could hear it rattle.
being that i'm feeling it in the wheel well i'm pretty sure it may be the strut mount an isolator. i will take the calipers into considration this weekend when i check everything out again.
just trying to get more input before i go into this so i can look for different thigns

Quick Reply: Some sort of rattling is happening but I can't figure where it's coming from