New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New WS-6 owner...is this car right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New WS-6 owner...is this car right?

i bought a 2000 ws-6 earlier this week.car is bonestock except for pacesetter eaders and a slp catback.car was a straight slug super duper slug wen i first got it...i let someone do a datalog on it and come to find out someone did a tune on it but a shitty tune didnt know wat they were doing. so i took the car to my friend who works at a gm daler and he was able to reinstall the stock programming from the factory. now she rips like she's suppose to but only half of the time.

whats going on is it seems like the tranny isnt kicking down like its suppose to at WOT.if im cruising at 30mph and punch it,it seems like it stays in 3rd and just eases up in acceleration instead of kicking down to 1st or 2nd and taking off like a rocket.is that normal.

on the expressway at WOT sometimes it kicks down to second or so at take off like a rocket and sometimes it just creeps up.

but im more so concerned about how it does on the street when i punch it,it just doesnt geton and go.the tranny seems fine.when it had the bullshit tune on it,it wouldnt get faster on the street nor the xpressway..almost wanted my lt back..car wouldnt even chirp tires at first now it does..

so long story short does the WOT shifting sound right or is there something i need to look into?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds simple to me. you got fucked on the new tune. dont cheap out have an ls1 tuner shop or someone on here to do it and theyll fix u right up.

every time i get on it car will downshift to take off yours should be doing the same.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

since ive gottten the stock tune back on the car performs 100 times better than with the shitty tune.i didnt have the car tuned,whoever the previous owner was had it don...all i did was had it put back to stock cuz i knew something wasnt right.

i mean it takes off,maybe im expecting to much out of it.

for example if im on the expressway in fourth and i puch it shouldnt it kick down to like second gear or so all the time?it seems like sometimes on the e-way it only kicks down to 3rd and eases up in acceleration. my last car was a cammed m6 lt1..maybe im expecting too much....but at the same time this is suppose to be the almighty ls1........
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has a stock tune ('02 Z28 A4) and it downshifts just fine on the street and highway. You should get a new tune done or your trans diagnosed as it sounds like something isn't quite right.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Teching In

it's all in the tune... whoever did your retune to stock might have missed the transmission parameters.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gotta get dat tune tune tune. sry but yeah get it retuned
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you need to take it to an actual tuner and have them check it out. I've never had that issue with my ss when it was stock.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

well today i tried something out..i borrowed a buddies slp lid off his camaro.....boy did that car wake the hell up. sucker spinned all thru out 2nd gear.i think im just used to the m6 and was expecting too much from a car with no mods....then i put my stock lid back on and its slow again lol.

lid made a big difference but they say a lid only is good for 10-12hp at the wheels so y did it feel like i gained hella more than that?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

I never noticed any gain like that after I put my slp lid on. Me personally I wouldn't trust a dealer putting a stock tune back on a car. I'd rather have someone who can log the car and make adjustments accordingly.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

well he kept tellin me i was gonna need the lid since i have full exhaust and no lid. so we finally tried it...then in the process come to find out i have a k&n air filter.i looked at it but didnt notice it had k&n evon it...but ill be honest it is pretty dam dirty even tho i used it with his lid.i just need some mods...maybe i need a stall...4000?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say you need to do some research before you throw parts at this car....
Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

as was said already get a reputable tuner to look at your car and see what it needs.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

my z28 had headers, ORY, and cat back when i got it. but, for some reason no lid though...

i had preemptively purchased an MTI lid, so it was a huge difference in performance once that was installed. she was thirsty for more air, lol.

OP, sounds like you have one of those temperamental 700r4s, instead of a 60e, haha.

good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Have you changed the transmission fluid? Thats the first thing I would do... old/burnt trans fluid can cause some strange things to happen.