Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Thought i had synchro problem but i was wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thought i had synchro problem but i was wrong

The T56 in my 2000 TA was becoming hard to get into 3rd and sometimes 4th gear, so i pulled it out replaced all the synchros, put it back in and now it is pretty much the same. It will not hardly go into 3rd (unless u jam it in) and it will go into 4th but sometimes it gets stuck in 4th and wont hardly come out. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Launching!

clutch and pressure plate?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

slave cylinder
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

i didnt really think it would be a clutch or hydraulic issue since i ONLY have a problem in third and fourth, but I am a newb to manual trannies
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the actual fork & pads look? If its the stock fork, they are notorious for breaking/cracking and that will cause an issue like that. Also does your trans still have the plastic shift fork pads? Any of those internal parts being broke can cause an issue like that (I had the same issue before i put my stage 2+ trans into my car)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firemech21
How did the actual fork & pads look? If its the stock fork, they are notorious for breaking/cracking and that will cause an issue like that. Also does your trans still have the plastic shift fork pads? Any of those internal parts being broke can cause an issue like that (I had the same issue before i put my stage 2+ trans into my car)
It does have the stock forks, but the guy who rebuilt it said they looked fine
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
clutch and pressure plate?
I just bought the car about a month ago. It has 29000 miles on it. It is built and I know it was raced. It has a centerforce clutch on it and thats about all I know about it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank79
The T56 in my 2000 TA was becoming hard to get into 3rd and sometimes 4th gear, so i pulled it out replaced all the synchros, put it back in and now it is pretty much the same. It will not hardly go into 3rd (unless u jam it in) and it will go into 4th but sometimes it gets stuck in 4th and wont hardly come out. Anybody have any suggestions?
All the synchros? Or all the blocker rings? Big difference.

Pics of the 3-4 parts?
How did the inner splines between the hub and slider look? Keys and springs were replaced? Did you set the springs both starting from the same key and both going clockwise (or counter)?

If it's apart again, the iron 3-4 replacement fork is a good item to include.

All new synchros and all new soft parts replacement would put you at a minimum of $700+ in parts alone; I'm guessing your total didn't have that much in cost of parts. Your builder didn't do his job on 3-4.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
All the synchros? Or all the blocker rings? Big difference.

Pics of the 3-4 parts?
How did the inner splines between the hub and slider look? Keys and springs were replaced? Did you set the springs both starting from the same key and both going clockwise (or counter)?

If it's apart again, the iron 3-4 replacement fork is a good item to include.

All new synchros and all new soft parts replacement would put you at a minimum of $700+ in parts alone; I'm guessing your total didn't have that much in cost of parts. Your builder didn't do his job on 3-4.
I am pretty sure he replaced the whole syncro assembly, and i dont know about the rest. Luckily he is my neighboor so he is going to help me pull it out and go back through it for no extra charge.

I am trying to figure out if it could possibly be a hydraulic or clutch problem now. I didnt even consider that before because the only problem is 3-4