Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im completely stumped :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im completely stumped :(

Okay i dont know much about transmissions so the information i give could be vague..
So in my A4 everytime it shifts gears my wheels completely lock. As in COMPLETELY stops moving like i hit the brakes hard for less then a second...
At first i didnt mind it but since its my DD its starting to annoy me..
Does anyone have ANY idea why my wheels completely lock after every gear shift? it feels the most from 1st to 2nd gear but its still noticable threw every other gear change.

info: a few bolt ons like heads, cam, lid,LTs, 2600 lock-up TC that make 445hp on a dynojet

At first i thought the reason it was called a lock-up TC was cause it made the wheels lock but thats not looking right.. another reason was cause i thought i needed a bigger TC stall but i just have no idea

any help will be greatly appreciated and please dont flame my noob-ness
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Are you sure you're not just spinning the tires? AKA "chirping" second gear?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

sorry man i have no idea what that means.. im still learning
When i hit the pedal from first when i shift into second it does make a "churp" noise but when im just crusing and it shifts it feels like im braking hard
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it actually throwing you forward in your seat like you stomped on the brakes??? I have never heard of a auto trans doing anything like that. I think maybe you mite be confusing the impact of it engagging 2nd gear with what you believe to be locking up the tires. You had it dyno tuned and you have a stall your tunner tuned for it to ensure good firm shifts for max preformance. That my opinion but if your that worried about it find a reputable shop to check it out
Old 05-20-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and that chirp you are hearing when you shift from first to second while you have your foot in it is your back tires loosing traction and breaking loose
Old 05-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

i cant really think of a reason why it would feel like hitting brakes. does it slow you down? do u notices the speedometer dropping mph? Are you sure its not just a good hard shift?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shorty(98TA)
Is it actually throwing you forward in your seat like you stomped on the brakes??? I have never heard of a auto trans doing anything like that. I think maybe you mite be confusing the impact of it engagging 2nd gear with what you believe to be locking up the tires. You had it dyno tuned and you have a stall your tunner tuned for it to ensure good firm shifts for max preformance. That my opinion but if your that worried about it find a reputable shop to check it out
Yes for a split second i go foward in my seat, then get pushed back.
The person who tuned my car does all LSx work and he didnt even notice the hard shift.. Im really just trying to figure out what the hell it is
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Im going to try and take a small video of it going down my block later today if that would help
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by topgeer
i cant really think of a reason why it would feel like hitting brakes. does it slow you down? do u notices the speedometer dropping mph? Are you sure its not just a good hard shift?
It only feels like im hitting the brakes for a split second so no mph drop, and im not sure if its a good hard shift cause i dont know what that is

I never had a car with this much power so im not sure if this is normal
Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

you would know it if you felt it, im turbo 350 trans shifted so damn hard you would think it was gonna rip out the car. hard shift is ok but it should be crisp as well, ive never felt like the brake were being hit. it shouldnt throw you forward. video may help any other tranny work besides the converter?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your gonna be better off to have it checked out we arent gonna be able to diagnose it over the internet. I really think what you are feeling is a drop in acceleration just be for the tranny shifts immedeatly followed by the impact of a good quality shift. But like i said its not going to hurt anything to have it checked out by a shop
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe your chirping tires during shifts......man those feel oh so good.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

my money is on chirping tires...your just losing traction
Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

^x2 mine too. Hes hittn the top of his powerband so acceleration platues then BAM a good hard shift slams him
Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that PCM may have some insanely high line pressure for shifts...coupled with a shift kit.

I had a GTP (yes i know, be nice) and it would shift real hard with performance shift mode and a tune in the PCM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Most likely breaking the tires loose. . . . But, sounds odd.

When you break em' loose between shifts it's not something you can explain, it must be felt for one self . . . . . LMAO
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=TImmy_Jones;14939570]I think that PCM may have some insanely high line pressure for shifts...coupled with a shift kit.QUOTE]

This^^^^

I have a built a4 with a shift kit and mine does this at low rpm shifts (under 2500 or a bit less) but not as dramatically as the op is describing....

Edit: Mine does it worse in 3 for some reason....

Last edited by SOMbitch; 05-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I cant upload any home videos...
I guess its just a hard shift or something.
When i had my friend record my car driving by it looked like it shifted as hard as a corolla
Yet the video of inside the car you can hear the shift and see the camera jerk
Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by topgeer
you would know it if you felt it, im turbo 350 trans shifted so damn hard you would think it was gonna rip out the car. hard shift is ok but it should be crisp as well, ive never felt like the brake were being hit. it shouldnt throw you forward. video may help any other tranny work besides the converter?
this sounds actually pretty accurate.. everytime it shifts from first to second it shift so hard i feel as though the trans is going to shoot out the back of my car and no tranny work besides the converter
Old 05-21-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I to think it is too much line pressure and its messing with the shifts,delaying it.how many miles on the tranns,is it stock?too much line pressure ain't good.