LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick opti replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick opti replacement question

when i do the cam swap in july id like to do the cap and rotor while im at it. ive read several times to stay away from the ebay opti's, but im not sure if this refures to cap/rotor kits as well? i'm goin out on a limb for parts that i need and i cant afford a new opti. especially since mine still works. so, ebay cap and rotor ok? or should i just not bother?

probly go with the one from chandler motorsports.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ebay cap and rotor is trash, the MSD cap and rotor is the way to go; use a little high temp red locktite on the rotor screws.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

msd cap/rotor = $208 shipped
Chandler cap/rotor = $50 shipped

i dont have $200 to spend "while im at it"
if i was going to bother spending that much i would replace the whole thing...

this is kind of a yes or no question
Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If your budget is that tight, maybe you should look at your current cap/rotor before you decide. I just couldn't put much faith in a $50 cap/rotor.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Launching!

ya that would be ideal but for wut it takes to pull the opti id rather spend the $50 to have the part on hand and only do the job once evn if i dont end up using it. the car is a DD and i dont have my own place to work on it so its just not a simple thing for me to do. Whats the best way to tell if the stock one is worth re-using? i dont have much experience with the subject.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

MSD currently has their parts made from the same places those ebay opti's are from. If you can afford it, GM parts are the only way to go.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
ya that would be ideal but for wut it takes to pull the opti id rather spend the $50 to have the part on hand and only do the job once evn if i dont end up using it. the car is a DD and i dont have my own place to work on it so its just not a simple thing for me to do. Whats the best way to tell if the stock one is worth re-using? i dont have much experience with the subject.
Your mouth is saying that but your brain isnt comprehending!
I usually don't bash anyone, ask around, and I am not now. I just have some words of wisdom to leave behind.

If you don't have the money for the essentials, then don't do it until you do have the money. Otherwise as you said in your own post, you will be doing it twice. Even if it costs half as much doing it twice is more expensive.

I can't get into detail as I dont have that info available, but for your cam swap, do you have the new springs, stem seals, timing chain,pushrods, gaskets, oil etc? Did you plan on replacing ALL of the seals in the TC while it is off.

I have generally spent in the area of 1k for a "cam swap" so you may want to revisit your thoughts and parts lists.

I Also agree with everyone else on using the cheap cap/rotors. In fact I just buy new Delphii units for @300, I dont even mess with cap and rotors.......
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM

As I dont know the specifics of your cam swap, but the little cost of a new opti is well worth tearing it down again. I know when my cam swap was done it wasnt cheap. cam,lifters,push tubes, roller rockers, opti , complete gasket set, was suppose to get springs but after cost of parts and valve job i found a new set of heads for 500. Plus all the little stuff. I'd say just in the swap i had over 3000 in it with t/b , headers. Yeah I put a new water pump and other stuff. For the 300 for a new unit its well worth the headache of doing it over.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gatorhead

I Also agree with everyone else on using the cheap cap/rotors. In fact I just buy new Delphii units for @300, I dont even mess with cap and rotors.......
I want to know where you get delphi optis for $300
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idformula
I want to know where you get delphi optis for $300
sending you a link via PM. I know this place is touchy about non sponsors lol I also have zero affiliation with these people I just know of several from my home site that have ordered through them.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I'd also like to know your source. It's always nice to have a back up.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gatorhead
Your mouth is saying that but your brain isnt comprehending!
I usually don't bash anyone, ask around, and I am not now. I just have some words of wisdom to leave behind.

If you don't have the money for the essentials, then don't do it until you do have the money. Otherwise as you said in your own post, you will be doing it twice. Even if it costs half as much doing it twice is more expensive.

I can't get into detail as I dont have that info available, but for your cam swap, do you have the new springs, stem seals, timing chain,pushrods, gaskets, oil etc? Did you plan on replacing ALL of the seals in the TC while it is off.

I have generally spent in the area of 1k for a "cam swap" so you may want to revisit your thoughts and parts lists.

yes all those things are being replaced as well as lifters, rockers, quideplates and valvecovers

as i stated before, i do not currently need a whole new opti. i was simply wondering if chandler motorsports cap and rotor is worth it for $50 to replace while im there anyways.
i agree that oem is the way to go most of the time, but come on, a cap and rotor is pretty simple ****. not like we're talking about the actual sensor or anything.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
yes all those things are being replaced as well as lifters, rockers, quideplates and valvecovers

as i stated before, i do not currently need a whole new opti. i was simply wondering if chandler motorsports cap and rotor is worth it for $50 to replace while im there anyways.
i agree that oem is the way to go most of the time, but come on, a cap and rotor is pretty simple ****. not like we're talking about the actual sensor or anything.
I would leave it as it is then and just run it till it dies. I have only done a few ......hundred of them and I cant tell ya how many times a good working unit was taken off and then reinstalled and it never worked again. I can tell you that I have seen more good working units taken off and had the cap and rotor replaced and never worked again tho. It is a gamble, and ultimately as you say it is what you want and can afford vs what we say to do with your money I have had the good graciousness from the opti Gods on my personal cars as one went for 283k and the other 186k....

Quick Reply: quick opti replacement question