Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Incorrect gearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrect gearing

I have a 1999 z28 m6 t-top Camaro. Shortly after buying the car I realized the speedometer reading was incorrect. I put my Garmin GPS in the car and got on the freeway to find that at the speedometer reading of 50mph I was almost at 65.

Using a formula I found on the internet I determined the rear end gear ratio is somewhere near 2.73, yes TWO seventy three. 6th gear at 70 mph is a mere 1200 rpms. I'm very familiar with driving manual transmissions so I can easily drive the car, but notice it is very difficult compared to most to get moving in.

While speaking with a friend of mine, not sure how credible his information is, he said something about using a rear end from a jaguar in it. I've never heard of this before so thought this would be the best place to ask such a odd question.

While we are on this topic my next question is, to go 3.73 I would need a new rear end, a "three series" rear end, is this also correct?

The rear end currently in my car does have some form of limited slip, I know there are many variations of limited slip or POSI rear ends, what kind did the 99 z28 use?

Another question is what width is the stock camaro rear end? I have a check coming to me in the up coming week or two, and would like to use some of the money I'm getting to get a more enjoyable gear ratio in my car. Any advice or responses are appreciated greatly. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like someone blew the original 10 bolt which had 3.42s and swapped in the first 10 bolt they found which happened to be 2.73s. But on the bright side you could probably drive 100 and still get good gas mileage. As for the limited slip the 99s were the first year of the Torsen diff, google it to find out more info. As for the swap to 3.73s yes you would need a new axle or a thick gear set. As for the friend's jaguar rear end idea, im raising the bs flag.

-Will
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Teching In

I agree on the BS flag. And yeah that was also my assumption about ending up with 2.73. Yeah, excellent mileage and lots of high speed cruising. I live in San Bernardino CA and have been looking for rear ends for that car and not many out there. I went through 5 different wrecking yards, and the best I found was a 3.23 with a nice tight posi. Figured it still a lot better than 2.73 and leaves the option of going to 3.73 later.

I bought it, was only 120 bucks. I have it outside right now prepping it for install. My question though, as far as gear oil and posi additives go, what are my best options?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Scratch the previous question, upon googling torsen differential I found all the information needed. My new question though, according to the manufacturer website, there are two kinds. The better being the T-2R. I think the camaro uses the better of the two, the T-2R, it speaks of preloading to eliminate a problem with one tire coming off the ground. I would imagine that's what the springs are for? Please bare with me, I'm very new to all of this.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy a thick 3.73 or 4.10 gear set from Motive. Buy a master install kit. Go to a ring and pinion shop.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Okay I've come across a problem. I yanked the 2.73 rear end from my car only to find a difference between it and the rear end I purchased. The one I bought at a self serve wrecking yard, came from an 02 TA. the 2.73 I pulled has disc brakes of course with the drum for the parking brake. The TA one does not, it uses the discs only.

I have both sets of calipers, and from what information I have found on the forum my car was suppose to have the disc with drum parking brake, but has anyone ever put the disc only setup in their 4th gen? If either will go in some what effortlessly, which one is better?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 AM
11 Second Club

Why dont you just change out the ring and pinion?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the rear dosent have the drum portion for the emergency break it may be an LT1 rear, they have the E brake built into the caliper.

Looks like this : http://shbox.com/1/rear_caliper.jpg