Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans am turn singnals=Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans am turn singnals=Junk?

I am wondering if i am having bad luck with my front turn signal lights or not. I have had two different trans am and on each car i have a time of going through the front turn signal/driving lights. I have changed the sockets on each and still only last for a few months. Also anytime i see a TA in my area, they seem to have the same problem. How common is this for these cars?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Curious about this myself, I just replaced the bulbs because the load was off on one. Still only one of them pops on with the keyless entry, but both work just fine driving. One socket slightly rusted/corroded, getting new one tomorrow. I saw another yesterday that had one out also. Haven't heard of it being a huge problem, but looks to be a trend starting here
Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Default And I thought it was just Me and I had gotten a Lemon

I have a 2002 Triple Blk WS6 A4, HPP, Flow master. The same thing happens with. I'm always changing the Right bulb, always getting water in there even with the gasket removed from the socket and why did GM decide to put the Alternator on the bottom? They just get wet from Puddles. I guess that's part of owning a Legend, Cracked Dash, Dim Tail light lens, Leaky Convertible from the Vent Drain tubes Clogging up, slow Power window Motors. I first started this F-Body Journey in 1998 with a 96 Z28 then a 96 TA, and now a 2002 Ws6. No matter the problems I still Love this Car.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Are the lenses cracked on the housings allowing water to get in? I would suggest switching to some LED bulbs and getting the EL-12 flashers because they don't put off any heat, which causes the housings to crack and melt.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

i jinxed myself, i noticed tonight that my passenger side it out. I may do some looking into the LEDs. Changing the bulbs is getting old in a hurry.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Very common problem for the birds. I started a thread here not too long ago and alot of guys helped in getting the issue solved..there are different options, here's the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...stion-ws6.html
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

if your housings are bad like mine were and you don't want to spend $80 on new ones then you can just fix them yourself for cheap like I did

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...signals-2.html
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my marker lights have a hairline crack in the face of the housing. I can only see it when the lights are on (which is very rarely). I've been going through bulbs left and right. Im going to take them out and polish the face of the lenses then clear coated them a LOT! That should seal up the hair line cracks. This is just a temporary fix till I get new turnsignal housings. But it should help I'd think.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Teching In

i have a 00 t/a with same issue. bought new sockets yesterday and replaced them. as silly as it sounds Autozone has had most or the replacements parts ive needed and on the inexpensive side too.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

weird, im still on my original bulbs in everything except the license plate lamp and headlights
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Teching In

mine seem to only go out when it rains or i wash the car. awesome design GM
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whoo went and bought new bulbs friday, new socket and dialectric grease today. I'm gettin to work!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look what I found

Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

whoo, new signal lamps today! A little bit of overkill on the boxing I think. 12x12x14 box to hold 2 6 3/4 x 3 3/4 x 4 1/2 boxes. lol

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Unhappy trans am turn signals junk? - yup

I won't say everyone's solution to this problem is wrong - but I would just about put money on it. I have tried every solution except the LED without success.. They all appear to work for a short while but given the climate you live in, they all will eventually fail. This is because all including the LED treat the symptoms rather than the problem. Some blame corrosion. What causes corrosion? So you put on dielectric grease. That solves the problem for a short while but eventually the lens cracks. Why? Drill a hole and that helps. Why? Put in LED bulbs and that helps Why? The problem is related to initial leakage or after the first bulb change. One way or another, water gets into the assembly. The original factory housing/harness are defective. This is why they charge so much to repair. They are actually replacing the harness. When you put grease on the socket you only slow the leak. Eventually water gets in and corrodes the socket. So you open it up, clean the socket, and put it back together with an imperfect seal - and for added measure you drill a small hole to drain what gets in. This is a good thing because it is not the heat from the bulb that cracks the lenses. It is the instant pressure that results from the heated steam produced by water contacting the bulb. The bulb usually shatters at this point also. But the hole just let's in more water! And you are back to square one with corrosion issues. In short - yeah, now I tell you, you must do all of the above. Use dielectric grease, rtv the socket into the assembly, drill a whole in the bottom rear corner (important otherwise spray pushes water in) and switch to the LED. Do not try to use a cracked lens. Complain to GM. And say a prayer.

Last edited by padows; 04-11-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I have had so many problems with my front turn signals I just gave up for now. I put a new socket and bulbs in and it worked for a little bit. Now the right side is 1/4 as bright as the other side and my right blinker wont work. Its like its not getting enough power to the light. Im just fed up with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the same issue. cracked lens. going through bulbs every other day. i need to buy new housings and i guess go led

Quick Reply: Trans am turn singnals=Junk?