Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Heads and Cam Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Heads and Cam Package

I have a 02 TA, with 35k miles.. and T56, I want a good package that gives me more rwhp and rwtq, Im open to any suggestions. Im just not looking to piece anything togther.. ive read a few threads similar but from 5 or 6 yrs ago.. things have changed since then so I want to know who can help me out, thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the websites of Vengeance Racing, Texas Speed, Thunder Racing and other sponsors - they will have packages.

Do you have headers? Those usually come first.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
Check the websites of Vengeance Racing, Texas Speed, Thunder Racing and other sponsors - they will have packages.

Do you have headers? Those usually come first.

Not yet, I was looking to gather everything at once, the headers and heads and cam.. and maybe an intake and put it all on in a weekend or so. which headers do you think I should run?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1TTOPTransAm
Not yet, I was looking to gather everything at once, the headers and heads and cam.. and maybe an intake and put it all on in a weekend or so. which headers do you think I should run?
I'll have to defer to others on which headers. I drive a CTS-V for which the most popular headers are Kooks and Billy Boat, but there are many more options for other makes.

I only ask about headers because the head and cam selections that work with headers are different from those that work with stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I like the L92/LS3 64-72cc Stage 2.5 Cylinder Heads Fully CNC Ported & Assembled With Factory GM 2.165" Intake Valves and 1.59" Exhaust package, I dont know which cam to run. that will give me the best torque and hp with compromising much drive ability but will give me the nice choppy idle.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think that head will work - I am assuming you are starting with a stock bore (346 cubic inch) LS1. The maximum heads for that block generally have intake valves no larger than 2.02. The most popular being Trick Flow 215s, PRC 215s, or AFR 215s. Trick Flow also offers a 220cc As Cast, which an as cast version of its Trick Flow 215s, but significantly cheaper. Vengenace Racing offers these in a nice package with your choice of cams and supporting hardware.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
I don't think that head will work - I am assuming you are starting with a stock bore (346 cubic inch) LS1. The maximum heads for that block generally have intake valves no larger than 2.02. The most popular being Trick Flow 215s, PRC 215s, or AFR 215s. Trick Flow also offers a 220cc As Cast, which an as cast version of its Trick Flow 215s, but significantly cheaper. Vengenace Racing offers these in a nice package with your choice of cams and supporting hardware.
I was wondering about the bore size issue too.. Do you know of any HP or TQ gains with that package, I only see the package with Trickflow heads which im assuming cost less then the other two brands
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

I was wondering about the bore size issue too.. Do you know of any HP or TQ gains with that package, I only see the package with Trick flow heads which im assuming cost less then the other two brands
I am not good at guessing horsepower gains on other makes. My CTS-V has more parasitic driveline loss than other cars so I am used to lower numbers. I am confident however, that with headers, the VRX4 cam included in that Vengeance package you should hit at least 425 rwhp with a good tune. I think others will agree or guess higher. Those 220 as cast heads have room to grow also since they can be improved with additional porting/runner work.

Last edited by Darkman; 05-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't run ls3 style heads on an ls1. They are designed for ls2/ls3/l92/etc..

What is your budget.. You could range from a basic cam stage 1 ls6 head pacesetters... all the way up to custom grind AFR heads book headers.

What are your goals? Track times mph and et? Rwhp goal? DD? Weekend warrior? How much street time how much track time? Have you made budget for a clutch and rear end as well, how much for these? Do you have access to get a dyno tune or will you be stuck with a mail order? Will you be adding a power added down the road? Nitrous blower turbo? Do you want a more stealthy setup or a drag car sound?

Answer those the best possible and we will get somewhere..
Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
You can't run ls3 style heads on an ls1. They are designed for ls2/ls3/l92/etc..

What is your budget.. You could range from a basic cam stage 1 ls6 head pacesetters... all the way up to custom grind AFR heads book headers.

What are your goals? Track times mph and et? Rwhp goal? DD? Weekend warrior? How much street time how much track time? Have you made budget for a clutch and rear end as well, how much for these? Do you have access to get a dyno tune or will you be stuck with a mail order? Will you be adding a power added down the road? Nitrous blower turbo? Do you want a more stealthy setup or a drag car sound?

Answer those the best possible and we will get somewhere..

My budget is pretty open.. just nothing crazy if that helps, I dont know about track times, but RWHP... I want about 450... more or less.. ALOT of Street time, minimun track time.. maybe a few passes. I dont want to upgrade the rearend or clutch at this time.. Unless its needed to get 420-500 rwhp.. which I doubt unless I am wrong.. I do have access to a dyno tuner up. No power adders no time soon.. I want all motor. and no drag car sound because this is my daily driver..
Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've got to be more specific if you want a recommendation from the forum or a vender
If it is strickly a DD or "fun street car" that won't spend much time at the track, you will want to stay in the "mid size cam, small head port" range (cam 224-230 and 205-215 ports) for good part throttle drivability
If you don't care as much about gas milage, zero maintance, etc, you can go more toward the 236-246 cams, and 225 port heads
If money is no object like it sounds, just take it to one of the LSx vendors in your area and have them install everything at one time, tune it and be done
500rwhp will require some serious parts, adn yes, it will also require a better clutch
Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1 7/8" headers.. and call Advanced Inductions for a heads/cam package
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AI dynoed a good cam for the trick flow head.the VR vr5 cam with the trick flows can make 460 rwhp,all modded out.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
You've got to be more specific if you want a recommendation from the forum or a vender
If it is strickly a DD or "fun street car" that won't spend much time at the track, you will want to stay in the "mid size cam, small head port" range (cam 224-230 and 205-215 ports) for good part throttle drivability
If you don't care as much about gas milage, zero maintance, etc, you can go more toward the 236-246 cams, and 225 port heads
If money is no object like it sounds, just take it to one of the LSx vendors in your area and have them install everything at one time, tune it and be done
500rwhp will require some serious parts, adn yes, it will also require a better clutch
okay you sound like you know what you are talking about.. so lets do this, I want a fun street car, and im not too concerned about mpg.. give me a package that will give me 450-500 and a clutch that will handle it all.. and a guessed price range.. at that point i will let you know if money isnt an issue.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do make a small bore L92 LS3 head for us LS6/LS1 guys That ways you can run the L76 intake as well... But as for a good head I would look into the PRC 2.5 5.3 head and top that with a FAST 102 intake as for a Cam I would talk to TSP and tell them what you are looking for and go from there... Best of luck
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

My budget is pretty open.. just nothing crazy if that helps, I dont know about track times, but RWHP... I want about 450... more or less.. ALOT of Street time, minimun track time.. maybe a few passes. I dont want to upgrade the rearend or clutch at this time.. Unless its needed to get 420-500 rwhp.. which I doubt unless I am wrong.. I do have access to a dyno tuner up. No power adders no time soon.. I want all motor. and no drag car sound because this is my daily driver..
1 7/8 kooks or ARH

afr 215/g5x3
tfs 215/vindicator
prc 215/ms3 or tsunami

fast 90/92/102

good day
Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trick flow 220 heads,EPS cam,fast 90/92 mm intake ,good tuner.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are going to have to re-consider what you said earlier....you will most likely need BOTH a clutch and rear-end with 450+RWHP.

Quick Reply: LS1 Heads and Cam Package