LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What is this piece? Also, Pics of New Engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this piece? Also, Pics of New Engine.

What is the piece circirled above? I know its the intake but I am talking about the piece with the red cap in it. That is the engine that is going in as a replacement in my GXP after we encountered a major problem with oil pressure.

Here are some more pictures of the engine. It is now in the car however my camera is dead so we only have these pics.

Engine is out of a 2006 Impala SS w/ 40k on it.

Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

build the **** out of it, its missing a piece, if you look at the front exhaust manifold it has that cover well the bend to the right of it should have one to..
Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
build the **** out of it, its missing a piece, if you look at the front exhaust manifold it has that cover well the bend to the right of it should have one to..
It was missing that piece. I used the one off my car.

We are just hung up on that one piece right next to the fuel rails.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

I need a better pic of the piece. How much was the replacement engine and how did you lose oil pressure?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I need a better pic of the piece. How much was the replacement engine and how did you lose oil pressure?
(I copied this from my post on gmls4)
After days and days of diagnosis with the help of Ill_Born and my father, we have came to a decision on my engine. It will be being replaced with a 40k mile engine.

After getting the P0521 CEL, I replaced the engine oil pressure sensor and continued to have problems with oil pressure levels. After checking all the check valves, performing an engine flush and countless other tests the pressure at the sensor will not go above 7psi at idle. We tested it with a wet gauge (mechanical) and it came to the same reading.

To make the final decision, when we started the car this morning we though we heard a lower end rattle. With the potential for the bearings to be damaged (dispite being a high volume oil pump) we decided to replace the engine. The oil pumps in these things are said to be bulletproof and the labor time calls for 12 or 13 hours compared to a R&R being 14. With the possibility of the oil pump not resolving the problem we made that decision.

We honestly tested everything in the book or I would not want to do this. The dealer is even stumped. It blows my mind as the car runs and drives great still even at what we had as out lowest of 6psi.

The engine going in is out of a BABIED 06 Impala SS. Has ~40k on it and we are hoping all is well once this is done.

Just a FYI.

I do want to say a honest thanks to Ill_Born for the countless hours he put into the diagnosis and research on this issue. TRULY an asset to the site and community.
Thanks!

Engine was $925 out the door
Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Interesting... My engine has low oil pressure at idle too. I can give you the reading if you want me too.
I think I'm around 12psi but I can check.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

My oil pressure is 52 psi at idle hot. 5/30 Mobile 1 synthetic.

Your oil pump pump pick up tube seal is bad or miss aligned. Common problem with tamperd LS motors.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
My oil pressure is 52 psi at idle hot. 5/30 Mobile 1 synthetic.

Your oil pump pump pick up tube seal is bad or miss aligned. Common problem with tamperd LS motors.
Yea at cold idle I have ~50psi but once the car warmed up it would lower to about 10psi and go even lower. We actually had the oil pan off once. We dropped a bolt down the engine and heard it land and the pan and hat to go in and grab it, however we never touched the pick up tube.

Who knows, haha. Just my luck though.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

that is another map sen. location
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

just wondering where did you get the motor so cheap?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hawkins: I just went to car-part.com or something right close to that and did a search for the engine. It found one with lower miles at a salvage yard about 50 miles from me. I went and it was a very legitly shop . They gave me the engine just like you see it . Also came with a one year warrenty

Quick Reply: What is this piece? Also, Pics of New Engine.