Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

TCM/IPC fuse blowing after Whipple install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default TCM/IPC fuse blowing after Whipple install

Ok guys, help me troubleshoot this. Immediately when I turn the key, not every time though, this fuse will blow. I went from a 15 to a 20 amp just to see the result, and it still blew. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a short in the wiring to me, I think I have a wiring problem to my purge solenoid from my install. I only moved my purge soliniod just over an inch away from it original location and now I throw a code for it.
Hopefully you can back track wires you moved. When you lowered the rad did you make sure the wires to the EBCM were out of the way?
TCM could even be a speed sensor wire if you removed your wheels for the install.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the blower, or something is sitting on a harness,...or something. Go back over your entire install. If it is truly after the installation,...should be easy to trace. Happy hunting.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Also take a close look to make sure all your grounds are solid. I know they have a bad habit of tripping fuses. Good luck and keep us posed, I know your probably going crazy to have that beast running!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Sounds like a short in the wiring to me, I think I have a wiring problem to my purge solenoid from my install. I only moved my purge soliniod just over an inch away from it original location and now I throw a code for it.
Hopefully you can back track wires you moved. When you lowered the rad did you make sure the wires to the EBCM were out of the way?
TCM could even be a speed sensor wire if you removed your wheels for the install.

Thanks, that's good info. Anybody have a diagram?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EasyZ06
Also take a close look to make sure all your grounds are solid. I know they have a bad habit of tripping fuses. Good luck and keep us posed, I know your probably going crazy to have that beast running!
Help me I'd all the ground points... Should be the battery, at the fuse box, the block... Anywhere else?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody know if I can either disconnect the instrument cluster or tranny module so I can see which of the two is the issue?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Does it happen when you turn the key to 'on' position or when the car is turning over? I have never done a hot wire fuel pump, butI know it takes some re-wiring. It could be when the fuel pump is priming, if it occurs right away. If so I would start there and check all connections.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

It happens when I turn the key on, even if I don't turn it over. Hmmm the instrument cluster/tcm is connected to the fuel wiring?

BTW, you are very observant to look in my sig for clues!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

haha yeah, I was just trying to think of something you may have changed with the new set up! I dont have a wiring diagram, and not sure what the hot wire kit ties into to get more power, just thought I would throw it out there!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Finally found it last night. The Throttle body wire was rubbing on the idler bracket we had to add for the new SC. One of the wires had been pinched a little and was grounding out.

Whew! I'm glad that's over. I found it by disconnecting EVERYTHING... intercooler pump, TB, MAF, temp sensor, transmission connectors, coil packs... everything. After I verified the fuse did not blow with everything dissconnected, it was just a process of connecting things one by one and waiting for the fuse to blow.

GOOD LORD is this blower loud!!

Quick Reply: TCM/IPC fuse blowing after Whipple install