Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep reading about Meziere race pumps, are there street and race pumps available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep reading about Meziere race pumps, are there street and race pumps available?

If so, whats the difference? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just picked up a Meziere pump for my '67 today. It is the high flow series (55gpm) and the standard is I believe 35 gpm. I know they're two different kinds for this one, but I believe all the LS# pumps are of the high flow series.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both pumps flow the same. Race pumps have no provisions for thermostat, heater lines or stock belt tensioner. Much better idea to go with the street version as it is a snap to put in. Just need to buy an sbc thermostat and water inlet neck. Heater core lines and the stock tensioner fit right up and the belt runs on a dummy pulley. I love mine and it keeps temps dialed on my car.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Heres a race pump picture that was posted recently:

Old 02-26-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Just how reliable are these electric pumps for a weekend driver car/twice a month track car? A electric motor failure while driving means a LS1 engine failure real quick, correct? WJ.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I know that the pumps come with the sbc thermostat, but do they come with the water inlet neck? If not, where could I get one of those? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, has the upper neck but you need to use the lower tstat housing off your stock pump. tensioner bolts right up and it has heater provisions or you can block them off (what i did). motor life is relativly high and is in the thousands of hours range. should last forever on my 69

its a nice unit:

I doubt there is any big gain in hp from it though.. I just like how it looked and that I could run it independent of the engine if I want to cool it down fast.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

So then theres nothing else that I need to purchase besides the pump and the thermostat that it comes with. What about the electrical part of the pump, does it come with everything that I need? I just need to transfer a few items from the stock pump. Will anything need to be modified, relocated, etc.? Lastly, what are the heater provisions? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heater line location is in the stock spot. It does not come with the inlet neck or a sbc thermostat. I bought those from pepboys for 20 bucks. Had to modify the neck by drilling out the mounting holes further to line up on the pump. I also used different bolts with larger heads to mount it. The thermostat needs to be drilled. I believe the majority of wiring was included. I just used my own wire for ground, power to relay, and postive relay trigger.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

The street pump comes with the inlet neck and the T-stat, I don't think the race pump does.For the street pump, no drilling is required, stock hardware works fine. it's a direct bolt on pump, you only need to use your stock thermostat housing with out the t-stat. Wiring can be as simple as running one wire to a swithed power and the other wire to ground. You can option to use a relay and contol it with a switch like I did if you prefer..

Dan
Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Why would you want to have a switch for the pump? If its powered when the car is running, doesnt it stay on all the time?