Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

traction control tuned out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control tuned out?

can i et the tcs to be off when i start the car through the tune? i have herd of the gto and trans am guys putting boxes that do it but no one makes one for the v......i only ask cuz i just blew up my axle cuz i forgot to turn tcs off just dont wanna do it again
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does not turning off tc cause blown axles?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

some people argue it helps eliminate wheel hop but i'm not too sure.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Even if you turn it off in the tune it still comes on. Can't be done.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't be surprised if GM intentionally made it to where it could not automatically be disabled, for liability reasons. Not saying that's the case, just saying...

It's a PITA to remember to turn it off all the time (esp since you have to hit it twice to get stability 1/2 off too), but it's babit 98% of the time, unless it's raining rally bad, although even then I turn it off, as it almost feels less safe with it on, as it will allow some spin and rear end movement, but it kicks on at a bad time.

These cars are soooo much nicer than the GTO's as far as handling the power and not getting squirrly and the TC system is better, imo, as well. Yes, I owned a new 2006 GTO with 6-speed and 18's (235's) for ~4 1/2 years, so knew that car too well in that respect. That one had the T/C on the console, which I always liked better than on the steering wheel, like ours.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

JNR, I don't like it on the wheel, either. I bump it sometimes and make SAD!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^LOL, know what you mean...What happens with me is I mistakenly hit that buttong sometimes instead of the scroll up/down for the g-meter, temps, etc...

Guess we should be glad we don't have to open the glovebox door everytime though if it wasn't there, lol...

If this was a car I didn't mind hacking up, I'd put a button somewhere else, amongst a few other things that are pita in this car, but I just get used to it and happy to deal with the quirks for all the car is overall.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

when it comes on abrubtly when you forgot to turn it off the rear hops real bad i mean worse then i have even in the rain i was at the track and i knew i was going to break an axle one day but i am very careful in how i launch and spin the tires one time i forget to turn the TCS off it bucked so hard i thought i got rear ended and the axle broke....btw im taking donations i think need a kidney for some gforce axles
Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Bummer

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Even if you turn it off in the tune it still comes on. Can't be done.
I had the same question. Bummer it can't be turned off somehow.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can change how it works though. Whether it uses spark retarding, electronic throttle reduction or both. I found that it's less abrupt by just having it retard the timing.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can disable through HP ....
There are mode settings (0 - 8), Spark control, fuel cut off(i think is off from factory for these cars) throttle control and a few other things that need to be done (TQ management etc)...
However, if ABS is tied to controlling TC, then well, you must still use the T/C button with the long hold to remove that... as there is no BCM control with HP.
Ill look into this a bit more to confirm as I know you can COMPLETELY disable TC with GEN IV, not sure about GEN III ECMs.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vmapper
You can disable through HP ....
There are mode settings (0 - 8), Spark control, fuel cut off(i think is off from factory for these cars) throttle control and a few other things that need to be done (TQ management etc)...
However, if ABS is tied to controlling TC, then well, you must still use the T/C button with the long hold to remove that... as there is no BCM control with HP.
Ill look into this a bit more to confirm as I know you can COMPLETELY disable TC with GEN IV, not sure about GEN III ECMs.
+1 on this. you cannot tune out/turn off the TC, but you can make it so that the timing and throttle are not affected under the TQ Management settings.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

If you were to tune it out so the throttle and timing are not affected, are you able to turn it back on with the button, or is it totally disabled?

Quick Reply: traction control tuned out?