Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Question about W4M Tune, HELP ME! Now with Dyno Results, Page 2, LOOK!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Question about W4M Tune, HELP ME! Now with Dyno Results, Page 2, LOOK!!

*DYNO RESULTS ON PAGE 2*

Hey guys, I finally received my Mail Order Tune from Wait 4 Me Performance Today. When I got it I called them and talked with Hannah, I wanted to know if I needed to do a Crank Re-Learn ASAP, But she informed me that I didnt need to do one right away that I could wait a few days, Go have fun!!! She says.

Well after driving the car around a little while putting about 50 miles on it, I decided to " Have some Fun". Roll out in 1st, Short shift to 2nd once the car reached around 4500 RPM, What do I hear!? DETONATION and BAD!! So I back out instantly. What a bummer, I waited 25 days to get this Tune from W4M and now, I have to send it back.I am NOT down talking Hannah or Jesse by any means, That are great people and good business that supports the CTS-V community, But this Sux!!

My question to you guys is, Do you think doing the Crank Re-Learn is going to straighten everything out? or am I screwed?

My mods are K&N Intake and Muffler Delete, FWIW

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by LS1iFiEd; 06-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Crank relearn has nothing to do with how it runs. Its helpful to diagnose misfires.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And the main reason I never liked mail order tunes. At least on the dyno they can diagnose the problem 99% of the time and you have no doubts its running like it should.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Damn figured it wouldn't help, Was just doing some hopeful thinking,LoL! Yeah I know, I know, I know about Mail Order Tunes and the Un-reliability of them, But Ive had some awesome luck with them in the pass. My first 2 F-Bodies were Mail Order tuned by a PCM4Less, 1 was H/C Nitrous LT1 and The other was a Cam Only LS1 and I NEVER EVER had an issue, Plus I even went to Dyno tune the LS1 car and the tuner at a very reputable shop in my area, said there was nothing he could do to make it any better, it was already spot on. So given the good luck Ive had in the past, My minor mods, and W4M familiarity with these cars, it wouldnt be an issue at all. I'll just have to call in the morning and see what we can do to remedy it. Thanks for your replies guys
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where do you live? W4Me is in Indiana and the fuel might be different where you live. I had my car dyno tuned here in Ohio where it runs perfectly in all weather temperatures. I drove it to Florida last month and it detonated like crazy over 3500 rpms. I narrowed it down to the full 10% ethanol that is in the southern fuel. I will know if this theory is correct when I go back down next weekend to pick up my car after the new clutch is installed. I just found a place down there that sells 93 non-ethanol. I'll add the 5 deg of timing I had to remove to get it to stop detonating and see if it does it again.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Im in Orlando,Florida
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Are you sure that is what you are hearing? A mail order tune on a stock motor is very hard to screw up (espically on a motor that has been out as long as the LS6)..I'm sure they've been using the same tune in thousands of cars all over the country.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

there have been lots of issues it seems with W4M's tunes lately. On the other forum it's a hot debate. He always gets em fixed, but just seems to be raising it's ugly head more and more....
Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Are you sure that is what you are hearing? A mail order tune on a stock motor is very hard to screw up (espically on a motor that has been out as long as the LS6)..I'm sure they've been using the same tune in thousands of cars all over the country.
No car runs identical mechanical specs, identical demographics, identical mods, identical goals... and no tune should be distributed as such.
You may have no issues, but you leave much to be desired left on the table, from MPG, drivability, response, to power under the curve and peak hp/tq
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

07cts-v is 100 percent on about the gas. I'll guarantee it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vmapper
No car runs identical mechanical specs, identical demographics, identical mods, identical goals... and no tune should be distributed as such.
You may have no issues, but you leave much to be desired left on the table, from MPG, drivability, response, to power under the curve and peak hp/tq
Well they have to be doing something right, he has been business for many years. Personally I always tune my own cars and would NEVER trust a mail order tune in a car that has anything other than bolt-ons. However, mail order tunes do have their place and I'm sure if it is the tune they will make it right. Some people either can't afford (nor is it worth the money on a stock/bolt on car) a dyno tune or know how to tune themselves.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, Thanks for your support. I have been talking with Jesse on Cadillac Forums. This is what he has said, If you care to know,LoL!

Q. He asked if the car had high miles, Maybe a stretched chain.

A. Nope my car just turned 50k Miles.

Q.He suggested I change the Fuel Filter and Plugs, Then clean the MAF.

A. Did EVERYTHING.

Q. He thought it could be Low Octane Fuel.

A. No way, I always Run 93.

Q. He also suggested a Bad 02 Sensor.

A. I feel there is no need as the car ran just fine before the tune.

To some everything up, I have tried Everything he has suggested, Minus the 02 Sensor. The car ran perfectly fine before the tune, No CEL's, Good MPG (17-18 MPG), and it was actually a Strong running car for a Pretty stock LS6 V, I took it to the track a few months ago with Just the K&N Intake and managed to run 12.90's @ 110-111 a few times.

I appreciate your inputs. Yes I am positive that it is Detonating. I am also getting a Foul Smell after a WOT Pull, I am assuming its the CAT getting Hot from the Lean conditions.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Just got a message from Jesse, he wants me to send the Computer back. I guess all I can say is **** Happens, Im glad he is standing by his product and not pointing the finger elsewhere. Good Company and Great Customer Service!!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Thats a great attitude, **** does happen, lets just hope everything gets resolved and your car get to running right.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

LS1iFiEd - Let me know how things go between you and Jesse. I've had my W4M pcm in for 5 days, and just started running very rough at idle and threw a code.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I have a detailed post on the "other" forum somewhere about crank relearn. I did A LOT of research on just about every GM forum out there and came to the conclusion that you do in fact need a relearn or it will pull timing as it needs a proper reference point. As soon as I pulled out of the shop 1st and 2nd gear at more than half throttle were completely useless in the rain. The car did not do that 30 minutes prior in the same rain. That was about 2 months ago and it still runs like a beast on 93 pump gas. No pinging and I'm getting about 14-15mpg on a 5 minute commute to/from work each way with major beatings handed down to the car at lunchtime 2-3 days a week. Highway it jumps to over 20 easy.

That and the little tune tricks like CAGS delete and messing with the fans make the W4M LS6 tune the best money you can spend on this car.

Last edited by Mike05V; 06-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Mike05V, Did you have any Pinging issues before the Crank Re-Learn?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1iFiEd
Mike05V, Did you have any Pinging issues before the Crank Re-Learn?
No pinging and it didn't feel like it was adding all the timing on the top end if that makes sense. If it has the wrong reference I could see it adding too much as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1iFiEd
Hey guys, Thanks for your support. I have been talking with Jesse on Cadillac Forums. This is what he has said, If you care to know,LoL!

Q. He asked if the car had high miles, Maybe a stretched chain.

A. Nope my car just turned 50k Miles.

Q.He suggested I change the Fuel Filter and Plugs, Then clean the MAF.

A. Did EVERYTHING.

Q. He thought it could be Low Octane Fuel.

A. No way, I always Run 93.

Q. He also suggested a Bad 02 Sensor.

A. I feel there is no need as the car ran just fine before the tune.

To some everything up, I have tried Everything he has suggested, Minus the 02 Sensor. The car ran perfectly fine before the tune, No CEL's, Good MPG (17-18 MPG), and it was actually a Strong running car for a Pretty stock LS6 V, I took it to the track a few months ago with Just the K&N Intake and managed to run 12.90's @ 110-111 a few times.

I appreciate your inputs. Yes I am positive that it is Detonating. I am also getting a Foul Smell after a WOT Pull, I am assuming its the CAT getting Hot from the Lean conditions.
His typical run around. In other words, he has no answers, again.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
Thats a great attitude, **** does happen, lets just hope everything gets resolved and your car get to running right.
Typically this takes 6-8 weeks with him and then you end up with an 'average' tune on an above average car. Not a lot of fun on a $70,000 car. As per his previous tunes, you are probably at about 9.8:1 and in jeopardy or ruining your cats. I say just pull up to an reliable shop and dyno tune your V. Otherwise, the hassle may be endless. Just my .02 and that is speaking from a lot of experience and owning the fastest non-nitrous V2 in the land.

Quick Reply: Question about W4M Tune, HELP ME! Now with Dyno Results, Page 2, LOOK!!